What 22cal would you build?

Love the look of the Woox on that gun—I love 25s but swore off wildcats as I spent too much time making cases. I have been hankering for another fast 25…might just do a fast twist 25-06–I've got a Tikka needing a change

Making cases?
The 25 CM is as simple as changing a neck bushing, and running 6.5 CM brass thru it. Necking down .007" isn't what I call making cases.
Load data is simple, Look at 6.5 CM data and adjust accordingly.

22 creed I have 3 of them they are shoot great 85.5 gr Bergers but I can't run them over 3250 in my 7 twist barrels every one of them shoots even better at 3300fps but they will blow up bullets on the 3rd to 5th shot I would really recommend a 7.5 or 8twist. I have shot several coyotes and 2 deer all were bang flop

22 creed I have 3 of them they are shoot great 85.5 gr Bergers but I can't run them over 3250 in my 7 twist barrels every one of them shoots even better at 3300fps but they will blow up bullets on the 3rd to 5th shot I would really recommend a 7.5 or 8twist. I have shot several coyotes and 2 deer all were bang flop
Is it a bullet construction issue or an RPM issue? I know that it's technically a combination of both things but have you tried an 88eldm or similar at those speeds with a 7tw?

Finally got my 20" 22-250AI finished. Shilen 1-7.5 twist with their 4 groove ratchet rifling. Thought it might be easier on jackets and avoid bullet failure issues.

20220905_071630.jpg

Initial powder testing with 75gr ELDs ran between 3100 up to 3525, but the most stable node across several powders was at 3250 fps.

I did test 90gr SMKs to see if the 7.5 twist was enough and they grouped in a nice clover leaf, with clean holes.

It's just a good looking cartridge and so fun to shoot suppressed. No recoil.

20220912_084128.jpg

I would still go with a 28 inch bolt gun 7T, 223 chambered with my TX LR reamer, basically a Wylde with .170 freebore length. The 223 can still it get done with the dated original JLK 90s that I still have a couple of Ks.

223 TX LR.jpg

If I want more velocity I'll chamber a long throated 7T twist 22-250. I shot one at 1000 yard matches, it did well. On the long Senderos the fast twist 22-250 is great for punching holes on 4 legged Coyotes by the border.

I think it is a little of both I have 1 of them shooting 88gr eldm @ 3225fps have not tried to push them faster yet I have a 7.5twist barrel ordered

I think a 7.5tw is the sweet spot unless you live on the coast.

Agreed.

Shilen did not have 7.5T ratchet before. After we had a couple of 8T that did not shoot the 80s, I asked for a meeting with Wade and J. I presented the data we collected on the 8T and performance at 6. I asked and they agreed to tool up to produce 7.5T.

They sent us 2 prototypes, one for the juniors and the other to the adult teams. I chambered one and the other by Justin.

After our evaluations, they went full production on their 7.5 Ratchet. Since then, they most likely sold more 7.5T than their 8s.

Our teams shoot the 7.5T; a handful of National records at Camp Perry were set with them.

Last edited:
22 Creedmoor. Best all around hunting 22cal available, and I've played with them all. The only place it doesn't work well is in a colony varmint situation. They get too hot, unless you don't mind burning up barrels. (I don't ;) )

Best brass in the world is available for it, and you can run an 80gr berger at 3450 without breaking a sweat. Lethal on coyotes, hogs, pronghorn, and deer.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

With the 22 cm is there any advantage going over 22 inches for barrel length?

With the 22 cm is there any advantage going over 22 inches for barrel length?
Velocity would be the main advantage. Of course you can run hotter loads in a 22" to equal the velocity of a 26" gun. But personally I'd rather throttle back on the pressure and "gain" velocity with barrel length. But I don't hunt suppressed often enough to want a shorter rifle overall length anyway.