What 22cal would you build?

Back in the day my buddy purchased a box "Escalator's" I think ?? it was called in 30-06.
We could not get it to site in at all at 100 yards. Twist rate might mean something hear, we didn't know back then??
I did purchased some of the sabots and still have them, one of these days I might do something with them again!!
I hope somebody else chimes in!!
There was a discussion on these yesterday. If you care to chime in.
You won't have success with much over 55gr in that twist, and even some of them might not behave. Certain flat base designs which are very short, will be where you'll find your heaviest bullets that will shoot well at shorter ranges.

If putting on a new barrel, go with a 7 or 8 twist. You don't really have the ability to "overspin" in a 222rem. I ran 7 and 8 twist in several 22-250's with no ill effect, and was still able to shoot 50gr just fine. Point in fact, terminal effects on varmints with light bullets in fast twist barrels is... spectacular.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

This is the 222 Rem MAG not the 222 Rem. Although I do have both. I found this article on a recent search. And was curious to know, if anyone, had any hands on experience. I'm new to reloading & this cartridge. I really appreciate your input. And have had the same thoughts myself, due to twist rate. I do not have the sixth edition of Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading. I have volume one. lol

There was a discussion on these yesterday. If you care to chime in.

This is the 222 Rem MAG not the 222 Rem. Although I do have both. I found this article on a recent search. And was curious to know, if anyone, had any hands on experience. I'm new to reloading & this cartridge. I really appreciate your input. And have had the same thoughts myself, due to twist rate. I do not have the sixth edition of Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading. I have volume one. lol
Yes, I was referencing the rem mag in my head, but just used rem incorrectly. In any event, the rem mag is still in the same class of cartridge, and all I said applies to both the 222rem and 222rem mag.

The .222rem mag just isn't on people's minds these days. The .204 ruger with 55gr bergers is the most relevant that parent case has been for quite a while. ;)

Still a fun little cartridge though. I'm sure you'll be able to get it running well. They typically shoot quite good.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I love all you hi-tech reloader guys! But, for a guy starting out who won't reload for a while, what is a good brand of factory ammo
for a 1 in 12 twist rate Savage Axis? Shots will be most 100 yards, 200 at most. We can hear the coyotes at night, but I've yet to see one. I have mostly 55 grain Nosler Varmagedon and these:

20220919_202535.jpg

I'm gonna guess, you all will say "just try them all and see which the gun likes" and that makes perfect sense.
The Winchesters are 38 grain, so probably too light for much accuracy? I wish a had a Crony, like you hi-tech guys....

I love all you hi-tech reloader guys! But, for a guy starting out who won't reload for a while, what is a good brand of factory ammo
for a 1 in 12 twist rate Savage Axis? Shots will be most 100 yards, 200 at most. We can hear the coyotes at night, but I've yet to see one. I have mostly 55 grain Nosler Varmagedon and these:

View attachment 395385

I'm gonna guess, you all will say "just try them all and see which the gun likes" and that makes perfect sense.
The Winchesters are 38 grain, so probably too light for much accuracy? I wish a had a Crony, like you hi-tech guys....
Each gun is different so your are going to have to try them and see there are some that will shoot better than others for example I have a 223 that's twisted for the heavies but only prefers the light weights

View attachment 395385

This is my take.....

A great gun will shoot a bunch of factory offerings well. My hunting partner has a howa 1500 in 22-250 and it loves the hornady superformance. I think it's a 52 or 55gr projectile. He's a head shot ninja on hogs and coyotes with that combo out to 200yds.

If the rifle is new.... find the cheapest ammo you can to get the barrel broke in and optic sighted in. If your savage axis is like the half dozen I've shot for guys......you are gonna want to put the $125 timney trigger in it asap. Shot a savage axis in 243 on Saturday that had a 7.5# trigger pull 🤯.

Bullet selection depends on if you are hunting for fur or population control. We don't hunt for fur so I like the most destructive varmint style bullet I can find.

To hunt…22 creed —good brass, fast, can shoot heavies or lights with ease—the 220 swift of the 2020s (if you don't like the creed then a 22-250 with a 7 or 8 twist..does about the same…

Fun gun a 221 fireball or a 22 Grendel's — miserly on powder and can load lots of rounds.

I'd do another

Manners EH1 or EH1A or AG, or a KMW…pick your poison

17-20 in barrel—1-7 twist—heavy contour—again pick your poison on make..

Suppressor of choice.

Attachments

• C8C73F1A-1179-408C-971E-A1CAFBDFD0FA.jpeg
    C8C73F1A-1179-408C-971E-A1CAFBDFD0FA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
If I was going to build another in 224 cal I think a .224 Wby Mag only in a 1-9 twist this time, I have one but it's in the factory 1-14 twist, it's superbly accurate with 50gr bullets, but... nothing heavier. I have one of the early miniature MkV action Varmintmasters, a great little field rifle, but... shooting 65gr to 70gr is what I'd really like to do... are you reading this Weatherby?

Wby MK V Varmintmaster 22.250 rebarrel project 005 (1).jpg

That's a lot bigger than 22 creed.
Yeah its about 10gr h2o less than 22x284 and about 7gr h2o more than the creed. I was looking at lapua brass and the 5.56x55 idea just popped into my head. I could be channeling my inner @ButterBean lol. An old man I work with reloads the 6.5x55 swede and said it kinda falls in that weird powder burn rate area of not quite 4350 and not quite H1000. No telling what a necked down version would need.

22creed makes the most sense for what im trying to accomplish.

I built my 22 CM back in 2019, and have enjoyed it since the first shot. I went with an ARC Nucleus action, a 20" X-Caliber 1-7 twist barrel, Trigger Tech Diamond trigger, and a KRG Bravo chassis. I mainly shoot 75gr ELD-M bullets out of it. For brass, I neck down Starline 6mm CM brass. I've tried Peterson, and Alpha brass in my 6.5 CM and just couldn't get the same performance that I do with Lapua or Starline brass.
I'm getting close to 3500 fps out of my 20" barrel shooting suppressed with H4350. This rifle is almost boring to shoot!

MZkFqJE.jpg

I recently put together a 25 CM to shoot the 135gr Berger's, but it's been too hot the last few month's to shoot it much. I'm trying some different powder's with it since I already use H4350 in three different rifles. I cant wait for it to cool off a little so I can play with this rifle and find what it likes. I'm running a 24" barrel on it.

Y8Xm2v6.jpg

I built my 22 CM back in 2019, and have enjoyed it since the first shot. I went with an ARC Nucleus action, a 20" X-Caliber 1-7 twist barrel, Trigger Tech Diamond trigger, and a KRG Bravo chassis. I mainly shoot 75gr ELD-M bullets out of it. For brass, I neck down Starline 6mm CM brass. I've tried Peterson, and Alpha brass in my 6.5 CM and just couldn't get the same performance that I do with Lapua or Starline brass.
I'm getting close to 3500 fps out of my 20" barrel shooting suppressed with H4350. This rifle is almost boring to shoot!

MZkFqJE.jpg

I recently put together a 25 CM to shoot the 135gr Berger's, but it's been too hot the last few month's to shoot it much. I'm trying some different powder's with it since I already use H4350 in three different rifles. I cant wait for it to cool off a little so I can play with this rifle and find what it likes. I'm running a 24" barrel on it.

Y8Xm2v6.jpg
Yeah its been hot for awhile. Seems like the thermostat got stuck on 103° for about 4 months. If it wasn't for June-September these Texas weathermen would never be right!

How do you like that chassis on your 25creed?

Yeah its been hot for awhile. Seems like the thermostat got stuck on 103° for about 4 months. If it wasn't for June-September these Texas weathermen would never be right!

How do you like that chassis on your 25creed?

I like the Woox Exactus chassis, but there are a couple things that could be improved.
(1) The picatinny rail on the butt stock is useless to 99.9% of shooter's that I know, and if you shoot with a rear bag it will tear it up. I removed the rail and fabricated a piece of wood to replace it.
(2) The way that the fore end attaches to the chassis needs to be improved. The aluminum chassis is actually 2 pieces, and the front extension piece that the fore end screws onto started allowing some upward / downward movement after I shot the rifle a couple times. There are only two screws (one on each side) that hold the extension to the main chassis.
I fixed the issue by putting epoxy in the cavity that the extension goes into, and then screwed it back together. Once the epoxy setup, the fore end is solid as a rock.

On my 3rd outing with the rifle, the butt stock developed a small crack in the wrist where it meets the chassis. This only happened because the way the grain in the wood was at the spot. Woox sent me a replacement, and looking at the grain pattern on the new stock, this shouldn't happen again.

I'm not bashing this chassis in any way, I like it. In today's high tech world, just because it looks perfect on your CAD program, it might not be perfect in the real world uses. I let Woox know what flaws I found from real world use, and they can fix it pretty simple.