What’s your pick, 300win or 7-300win

When reading magazine articles on the latest long range cartridges like the 28 or 30 Nosler, the 6.5/284, etc. the venerable .300 Win mag with high BC bullets (200 grains and above) always is mentioned as still being a very good choice.

Having competition dies and a lot of .300 Win mag brass and H1000 powder and two rifles chambered for it I think I'll stick with it until they roll me out on my spurs.

For me.....Neither
In 7mm a 28 Nosler rocks with 195 Bergers
In 30 cal the 300 RUM with heavy 210 or 230 is perfect

As for those folks in the magazine articles... Until they've shot a .300 Ackley with a 215 Hybrid...they'll keep thinking the .300WM is the standard. :cool:

Left to right...
.308 Win
.30-06 AI 40º
.300 WM
.300 Ackley 40º
fullsizeoutput_101d.jpeg

What's the parent case of the 300 ackley?
I use new Nosler .300 Weatherby brass to form for mine. Works perfect, and there's literally ZERO prep work that needs to be done. No trimming, no nothing. Just load a starting load powder charge, and fire. Fire-forming is as easy as loading for a standard SAAMI case. Because it's a belted magnum, the case headspaces off the belt. So you don't have to seat the bullets into the lands to get a perfectly formed case (like you have to do with non-belted wildcats). So fire-forming cases for it, as as simple as can be.

Here's a coastal bear that didn't get to see summer....
A friends son killed it with a 300rum...2950..230 Berger...660 yards..
The story is funny so I have to share it....
"Saw at 6 in the evening could not get a shot, went into the timber and rock bluffs he hiked over there watched until almost dark he hiked back to the landing fell on his gun, bear came back out so he used my gun because his could have been knocked off. He was so jacked up he missed first shot I said you missed he said I jerked the trigger I said calm down second shot dead bear stopped sliding 10 feet before going off a bluff he jumped up gave me a big hug"....
This is my taxidermist friend and his son...hard working great guys...
making use of the end of daylight....got the bear out at 1am.....way past my bedtime.....
LMAO on this story.....8498.jpeg

What speed are you getting with the 300ackley running the 215's, what barrel, powder, COAL etc
Between 3,000-3,100 average. That was with 7828 SSC, but I'm going to try IMR 7977 and see if I can get some more out of it with less pressure. COAL will vary depending on how your reamer is cut (this is a wildcat, so there is no SAAMI standard specs). Barrel is a 6-groove 26" fluted stainless sendero/Rem Varmint 1:10 twist.

There is a Reason the 300 win mag is used as the golden Standard...
I keep hearing this exact response, but it never gets elaborated on as to exactly WHAT or WHY that reason is...

Hearing people try to explain why that is, but don't have any provable facts, the conversation always takes a very sharp turn, and more often than not, it will end up exactly how scientifically and analytically Joe Dirt's dad explained how the Posi-Trac on a Plymouth works... "It just does..." :rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.