What’s your pick, 300win or 7-300win

The 7mm is superior Ballisticially. I'm hearing the 30s with the 215 has better terminal ballistics on elk. If I was taking long shots on mostly on non elk I would go with the 7mm and limit range and bullet used on elk.

My 2 cents

I lean towards the 7mms as that's my recoil tolerance without a brake. The 300s with 200+ are a little much for me in a sporter weight.

If you hunt in a grizzly/brown bear inveirment the .300wm would be a better choice. I like the the .300wm myself for a lot of reasons. I'd go .300wm

I lean towards the 7mms as that's my recoil tolerance without a brake. The 300s with 200+ are a little much for me in a sporter weight.
If you were to compare the recoil numbers between the .300 WinMag with 215 Bergers and the 7-300 with 195 Bergers I would bet they are almost the same, probably close enough that a shooter wouldn't notice the difference.

This is a personal preference and I realize that. But I wouldn't go with either one either one without a brake. I am older and realize that my pain tolerance probably isn't what it use to be, but a brake just makes shooting so much more pleasant. And I also feel that it helps me with accuracy.

Almost every rifle I own has a heavy barrel and most of them have a muzzle brake as well. I don't mind recoil, or perhaps the rifles that I prefer tend to be good at managing recoil. I would think that the recoil would be about equal. No matter which caliber I choose I will probably leave the barrel at 28"+ brake for added velocity. My last 300 had 28" of barrel without a muzzle brake and I was getting 2965 FPS with 212eldx bullets without much effort or much perceived recoil.

After shooting rifles with a brake, I'd run one on a 15 lb 22lr any more. I used to be a "No pain no gain" guy, now I'm more of a "No pain?? No pain!" Type. You should always wear ear pro, regardless of what you're shooting. Probably off topic, but the recoil issue should be about a moot point between the two.

If you were to compare the recoil numbers between the .300 WinMag with 215 Bergers and the 7-300 with 195 Bergers I would bet they are almost the same, probably close enough that a shooter wouldn't notice the difference.

Not a 7-300 but I was running 180s in a 7mm mashburn and the felt recoil was quite a bit less than a similar built 300 win mag shooting 200grain+

Between your two choices and your criteria, I'd go .300wm and see if you can trade those 195s to someone for some .30 cal projectiles. Or sell them. I wouldn't build a rifle just because I had a box of bullets sitting on a shelf, I don't think....well, I'm not fooling anyone- maybe I would. :confused:

I still say .300 win mag.

I don't have any experience in long rang shooting, but I have "plenty" in the "lay aside my hobby and put my family first", ha. In your stated reasons, its the 300WM. The "wildcat" will want more of your "time & money". Trust me, I'm 65 and been married to the same girl for 45yrs, raised twin girls, still Pastor the same church for the past 27yrs. I am a rifle looney from birth! ha Yet there are times you have to lay it aside ( or at least cut back) Life is too short as it is. You are a good man to even "consider it" though, so don't be hard on yourself, ha.

While my vote is still 300 win for a do all cartridge the 7-300 requires zero extra time or money assuming you would size your brass the first time with either cartridge(which I do).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.