What’s your method of marking for hand loading iterations on brass?

jtf3635

When load data is complete and taking your prized loads to virgin brass, how do you mark your cases to know what reloading iteration you're on? I apologize ahead of time if this is already covered in another post.

I dont know what taking loads to virgin brass means but I just put my brass in ziplocks with a tech card I print out from a word doc I made showing whats been done to the brass....

1679015071162.png

I have them usually in 50 case lots and that ammo box is labeled with what they are.
yes, I should add that once I develop the load I keep mine in a plastic ammo box. The tech card I use to follow the handload process stays with the box.
I just use zip locs for load development stage (different charge weights or primer etc.), I wasnt certain what the OP meant in the first part.

I dont know what taking loads to virgin brass means but I just put my brass in ziplocks with a tech card I print out from a word doc I made showing whats been done to the brass....

View attachment 448074
Taking prized load data to virgin brass is just referencing new brass. I recently purchased 100 new brass casings and I know my load data is tuned to my rifles preferences. I would hand load that new brass with my current load data. I'm just curious to how to keep track on when to anneal or consider ridding that brass from my inventory.

yes, I should add that once I develop the load I keep mine in a plastic ammo box. The tech card I use to follow the handload process stays with the box.
I just use zip locs for load development stage (different charge weights or primer etc.), I wasnt certain what the OP meant in the first part.
I wasn't very detailed on mine either, times fired recipe and other details are labeled on the inside of the lid. If I'm doing load development like many others it's a black sharpie on the case itself.

Taking prized load data to virgin brass is just referencing new brass. I recently purchased 100 new brass casings and I know my load data is tuned to my rifles preferences. I would hand load that new brass with my current load data. I'm just curious to how to keep track on when to anneal or consider ridding that brass from my inventory.
I think Im seeing what your asking...

Personally, I fireform new brass, then anneal every time I handload them.

I keep track of times fired with my tech card, and keep brass separated by fired count in zip loc bags. Each bag has its own tech card.
As used brass starts to age (muliple handloads) toss when primer pockets start expanding or loose primer insertions. Keep track of that reload number on my recipe notes so as brass reaches that number dont bother trying to seat primers just toss.

example, if my brass has been fired 7 times and I notice loose primer pockets. I toss the other brass after 6 firings from now on.

It really depends on what you are dropping the hammer on. I've never really noticed a difference between fl sized and new on something like a rum or belted mag unless your factory new brass is grossly undersized for the chamber, like blowing out 375 H&H brass in a 7stw. Something with a lot less case capacity could potentially see a decent difference.
I don't anneal. I purge my brass when one of a few things occurs.
1. they've taken a couple of decent trimmings and need another one
2. case head separation is imminent, or a neck crack develops
3. bullet seating starts to feel erratic
4. primer pocket starts loosening

I think Im seeing what your asking...

Personally, I fireform new brass, then anneal every time I handload them.

I keep track of times fired with my tech card, and keep brass separated by fired count in zip loc bags. Each bag has its own tech card.
As used brass starts to age (muliple handloads) toss when primer pockets start expanding or loose primer insertions. Keep track of that reload number on my recipe notes so as brass reaches that number dont bother trying to seat primers just toss.

example, if my brass has been fired 7 times and I notice loose primer pockets. I toss the other brass after 6 firings from now on.
Would you gives us a copy of your tech card?

Zip lock bag with a post it note inside. I write the date what's been done, number of firings. I use cheap plastic boxes to keep all the cartridges separate by bullet diameter. One box will have only 223/556 because I shoot lots of it. Next box will have 222, and 220SWIFT, then all my 6mm cartridges (243, 6ARC, 6GT, 6 creed) all the way up to 308 and then my pistol stuff.

I usually prefer to do all my brass prep at once so when I'm ready to load all I have to do is prime, weigh powder, and seat bullets. If I didn't complete the process my post it note will tell me where I stopped.

My brass prep in order is: anneal dirty brass, pin wash, dry, bushing FL resize, expand on a .002 under caliber mandrel, trim, chamfer, nylon brush and apply neolube inside case necks, and reprime With my preferred primer for that cartridge

Would you gives us a copy of your tech card?
Sure, let me research how to attach a document here in the forum if possible and what format.

I can save-as a word doc so its editable to add a step if needed, It prints 6 to a sheet on a standard home printer I just print and cut out what I need.
Note: I got the idea about a year ago for a post on this forum. I just made my own but hats off to whoever it was.

1679019097707.png