What’s your five? 5 Calibers to do it all...

Not trying to knock some of you but I had answered the question I thought in the spirit it was asked. Paladin300 asked what cartridges would you limit yourself to 5 of for LRH? isn't LRH long
range hunting? In another post gave us a gimme of 22lr and a shotgun but people still keep adding 22lr, 45 ac, 12 gauge, and I have 2 10mm pistols I love but I wouldn't use any of these for LRH. Wouldn't it be what reach out there and touch your prey or game rifle cartridges for that prey or game?

223 Rem - Predators to small deer
257 WBY - Pronghorn
6.5 PRC or RPM - Anything in North America
300 Win Mag - Anything North America
375 H&H - African Dangerous Game
Idk, I just saw your list and thought the first 3 could be replaced by one, 7mm-08
Then you'd have room for two more. What do you think?

My list assumes Rim Fire, Pistol and Shotgun 'Cartridges' being on separate lists and that the OP meant Caliber when he originally posted.

Here are my Top 5 CF calibers and their associated current cartridges or in acquisition mode. So the () = Near Future

Caliber/Primary Bolt CF Cartridge/Other

22/22Creed/5.56
24/243Win/TAC6
26/6.5Creed/
30/308Win/300PRC
33/(338Fed)/(338RCM)

Also Ran:
20/(TAC20), 27/6.8 SPC, 37/(375 Ruger)

Looking at the winners and also rans, it seems they're based on cases, because to a degree they are. Strong beltless, versatile boltheads, efficient cases, and their ease of reloading and case creation played a part.

So while maybe a bit off the thread's topic here are my 'Top 5 Cases'. With these 5 Cases there isn't creature roaming Planet Earth that a caliber can't be found, or a cartridge built to slay.

(btw the 5th case is more of an aspiration. It's truly the stuff of dreams, Africa and the Ko2M... :)

223 Rem (Child of the 222 Rem)
30 Rem (Child of?)
308 Win (Child of 250-3000 Savage)
375 Ruger (Child of 404 Jeffrey)
408 Cheytac (Child of 505 Gibbs)

Idk, I just saw your list and thought the first 3 could be replaced by one, 7mm-08
Then you'd have room for two more. What do you think?
Under no circumstances would I ever give up my 223. I love that gun way more than any other in the collection. It's cheap to shoot, zero recoil, and effective on everything up to cull deer. Also, I have no real love for the 308 parent cartridges. The 6.5 PRC will be flatter shooting, have better wind deflection and higher sectional density than a comparable load in the 7mm-08. To me, there is a real advantage to the 6.5 PRC as a handloader with bullets such as the 156 Berger. The 257 is unrivaled in terms of effectiveness on deer sized game under 500 yards. It's the flattest shooting, hardest hitting cartridge on the market in that range. The only cartridge I'd consider replacing the 257 with is the 6mm creed for low recoil target shooting and hunting.

That's tough to be limited to just 5. Thinking of all my guns, I'd pick;
17 WSM
6 Creedmoor
338 Lapua
12 Gage
45 1911
17 WSM- rim fire so don't have to load shells and good for plinking and smaller varmints and game out to 250-300 yards.

6 Creedmoor- long range targets, large varmints and larger game through deer and antelope.

338 Lapua- long range targets and large game bigger than deer and antelope.

12 gage- birds, clays, rabbits, home defense.

45 1911- plinking, targets, and home defense. Might substitute my 9mm auto instead as mine is a better concealed carry gun.

Under no circumstances would I ever give up my 223. I love that gun way more than any other in the collection. It's cheap to shoot, zero recoil, and effective on everything up to cull deer. Also, I have no real love for the 308 parent cartridges. The 6.5 PRC will be flatter shooting, have better wind deflection and higher sectional density than a comparable load in the 7mm-08. To me, there is a real advantage to the 6.5 PRC as a handloader with bullets such as the 156 Berger. The 257 is unrivaled in terms of effectiveness on deer sized game under 500 yards. It's the flattest shooting, hardest hitting cartridge on the market in that range. The only cartridge I'd consider replacing the 257 with is the 6mm creed for low recoil target shooting and hunting.
Can't argue with that.

Not trying to knock some of you but I had answered the question I thought in the spirit it was asked. Paladin300 asked what cartridges would you limit yourself to 5 of for LRH? isn't LRH long
range hunting? In another post gave us a gimme of 22lr and a shotgun but people still keep adding 22lr, 45 ac, 12 gauge, and I have 2 10mm pistols I love but I wouldn't use any of these for LRH. Wouldn't it be what reach out there and touch your prey or game rifle cartridges for that prey or game?
You're right, it's the five do it all for long range hunting if you go back 33 screens to the beginning. But if you went by the heading it just says what 5 calibers to do it all so it was kinda deceiving.

Our list is as follows:
*5.56/223, AR platform for all things close to mid range requiring a high rate of discouragement and/or general destruction. MULTIPLE choices for projectiles to handle about anything with a 30 round mag.
*7.62/308, AR platform for general purpose hunting 0-600 yds, and the above mentioned alternative target sets.
*30-06 Springfield, pump action 7600, nothing lighter than 180GR. Accurate, lightweight, fast reload/engagement. Handles about anything on the North American continent with right projectiles.
*338 Winchester Magnum. Spelled 'All Around Workhorse'. Literally nothing you cannot kill with proper projectile selection on any continent. Not allowed in some African countries, but certainly extremely capable of adequate penetration on any animal with proper projectiles. Ballistics/physics isn't just a good idea.
*7mm Rem Mag, long range hunting, flat trajectories, plethora of high BC's to choose from, maintains plenty of down range Smack-Down, good sectional densities and penetration at range, and plenty of projectiles that degradate well for speed goat size game.
*12GA shotgun, great for harvesting small game, foul, and great for thick woods protection at point blank to 70 yards easy with load selection. And I'll add one more...
*22LR, great for small kids and or non shooter training. Cheap, lightweight ammo, surprisingly accurate in the right combination, cost effective, relatively quiet way to put food on the table.

We have a few more in the repertoire, including one of my favorites, the 35 Whelen. The only reason I did not include it amongst the above group was because there are a couple of caliber's in there I feel quite strongly can do the same job as well as the Whelen, and availability of ammunition. But make no mistake, it is certainly interchangeable with the 30-06, and even more powerful obviously. I simply excluded because of ammunition availability in a sane environment, which we do not reside in at the moment.
22LR for small kids? Are they in season?

LOL...... I have to agree aswell. Support is need for gunaholics. I need another safe. My girlfriend & best friend don't understand my gun logic. Was only going to buy 1 more rifle. Now debating on 3 rifles & another hand gun.

And now Savage is set to release their Impulse line! Darn! That means at least 4 more rifles coming home, as soon as they are actually available. I'm on a couple dozen waiting list for the Impulse Big Game version in 30-06 & 6.5 Creedmoor, and the Predator version in 308 Win & 6.5 Creedmoor...

Addicted!!!