What’s your favorite caliber for deer?

30 years ago a friend of mine who lives to "still hunts" here in the Adirondacks loaned me some fun reading. I believe the book was entitled: "The Deer Hunter's Guide". If memory serves, it was copy write 1964. I just found a copy on Ebay, and ordered it, so I'll soon know if I've found this source.
Anyway, the fella that wrote the book spent a great amount of time tying different types and thicknesses of brush in front of targets and with the brush at different yardages between the firing line and target. From these experiments he deduced characteristics of cartridges that performed well while shooting through brush. If memory serves, and it may not, he found that a 150 grain bullet going 2500 fps or less was most resistant to deflection.
I'm uncertain of the validity of his findings, it would seem a heavier bullet would be better and busting brush, but found his dedication and experimentation interesting. I haven't seen, or read any "brush busting" articles since then. There must be some validity to writings as when I was younger I noticed every "oldster" hunted with a caliber that was pretty close to that description: .32 special, 30-30, 300 Sav, etc. The faster the bullet, the more the deflection. The old timers would sneer at a .243 and other fast calibers. As I consider modern cartridges for deer hunting, I think the nature of the terrain remains a consideration.

Didn't read all posts, but have to throw my thoughts in the ring. For years my go to was 280 Rem, or any 7mm. After spending 7 years shooting in ballistics labs for 2 large bullet manufacturers, I fell in love with the 338-06. Finished a rebarrel build on a Win 70 Fwt with 24" Fwt contour PacNor in 338-06. Shoot a 200gr Hornady SST 2800fps. It's sad the 338-06 is such an overlooked cartridge. Less powder, less recoil, only lacks 150-200fps behind 338 Win mag, and far surpasses it's patent cartridge with equal bullet weights. 338-06 with 185gr pills at close to 3000fps, again, sounds like 300 Win mag performance with less powder and recoil, plus a10% larger bullet and 5% heavier bullet. I don't get why it's not revered as possibly the best all around cartridge for North America.

270 Winchester Remington Model 700 the vast majority of the time shooting 130 grain Core-lokt. If woods hunting, I will use my 6.5-55 Swedish Mauser Winchester Model 70 Fwt loaded with 140 grain soft points or my model 99 300 Savage. To be honest though, if I had a 7mm-08, it might replace them all!

If I were to build a new rifle today I would have to seriously consider the 7 SST or the 7mm SAUM for slightly better resale value.

308 Win in the NC mountains. Has plenty of knock-down power, and the range to go with it. Ammo is plentiful and not too hard on my wallet!! Mild recoil doesn't hurt either, literally.

For Georgia deer I used a 30-06 for 45 years, rarely lost one. Swapped to a 6.5 creed a couple of years ago. Deer run further and I have lost two. Going back to the 06. I don't set in a tree, I walk, I believe we call it stalk, so most of my shots are not perfect.

1. What bullet weights and designs are you all using for .257 Wby for mule deer?
2. My granddaughter drew for cow elk this year. I can lend her a rifle in any number of cartridges including 6.5CM, 7mm-08, .257 Wby or .308. She will need to pick a cartridge and practice. Any comments as to which cartridge might be a good choice? I'm leaning towards 7mm-08. She is 14 and can shoot pretty well.