What’s happening to LRH?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am fairly new to long range shooting about 3 1/2 years. My 12 year old son reads on here a lot. I saw from an early age (4 years old) that he had an extreme gift of shooting really well. I came from a hunting background to where you sighted in at 2 inches high at 100 and you were good to 300 so all of this long ranger stuff was foreign to me. I joined this site and was completely overwhelmed at the knowledge and eagerness that everyone had to try and help the "new guys" out like me. I am learning at the same level that my son is and I am truly grateful for this site for those helping in teaching us.

First, I want to say that this is one of the best forums in the internet. It truly is a wealth of knowledge concerning all things long range shooting/hunting. I've been on here for quite awhile (~10 years) but recently I've noticed quite the change in the thread content and topics. Seems like the focus has been shifting more and more away from long range hunting/shooting to just simple general hunting and gun stuff...nothing really wrong with that but it seems to be driving the focus away from the prerogative of the site, and what drew me (and I'm sure others) here to begin with. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I want this site to remain the authority on long range hunting and continue to be the treasure trove that it is. Currently, however, I feel like we're really diluting the resource. Rant over.

I've posted threads about various things: rifles, cartridges, hand loading etc... I always assume that everyone reading will know that whatever I am posting is in the long range realm because its posted in a longrange forum but I get replys that are not necessarily with that mindset. So maybe I need to be sure to attach the statement" long range "to every post heading. I do not post or ask questions about rifles,cartridges & handloads that I don't intend to use at long distances but I often get responses that are pertaining to short range cartridges in my book.

Think it depends on opinion of long range too. Where I hunt a 300 yard shot is considered long range. Most guys I know who live out west laugh when I say that cause to them that's a hip shot. They consider long range 800-1k on game!! I find even a 300 yard shot a lot of times to be tricky with saplings and tiny branches you may not see that completely wreck a good shot. Just my opinion

I like this for the wealth of information that is available from all spectrum of the shooting sport, and...not just long range shooting. For me that is what makes this forum what it is. From what I have noticed on the forum that if someone wanted information on long range shooting a "forum" search can be made and the information that is being sought is usually provided to them. I think that the forum is for everyone, and....not just long range shooters. We all have to start off somewhere and no disrespect to anyone for their military or law enforcement training, however not all of us who follow this forum are trained snipers or long-range shooters. I've been reloading for 55+ years and "thought" that I knew how to make precision reloads, "until" I started to read the forum and all of the knowledge that can come along with all of the great, helpful people who are willing to share their knowledge. And.... that knowledge comes from people who are at all stages of the shooting and reloading base. I've read a ton of books about precision reloading, and none of those books can compare to starting a thread with a particular question and get other's input and knowledge base. Reading a book and getting input from people, just like me, is the most helpful information that I possibly can get.

If all one wants to do is read about any particular topic, like long-range shooting, that is all one has to do is go into the forums section and click onto that particular thread. I thought that the FORUMS header in the top menu was for and all about; making the forum a forum on many topics. For instance the 53 items in Len's backpack, I didn't read where anyone complained about that thread. I in fact appreciated that thread because I'm always looking for "any" information relative to shooting and/or hunting. As for my thoughts about long-range shooting, or hunting, they are that before I can consider long-range shooting, or hunting, I have to learn how to make precision ammunition for that precision rifle. And I've gotten that information knowledge from what I have acquired from this forum. I've been a member of this forum since 2013 and have found that it has only gotten better in my opinion.

I think what a lot of the long range partakers dont understand is this site is the HUNTING ACCURACY AUTHORITY on the internet as far as I've been able to find. Just because a hunter doesnt have access to extreme hunting environments doent mean they dont want to perfect their equipment . I started a thread a while back when I tested the first loads I had put together in 20+ years. I built a rifle in the scurg of the shooting world (6.5 creed) and wanted advice on how to maximize my accuracy . I had some wide velocity spreads and inquired about the first steps in narrowing them down. My shooting enviroment limit is 500 yards. The rolling hills and lack of high elevation vantage points makes it nearly impossible to see a deer even in wide open, manicured fields beyond 300 yards. I was shooting well under half moa at 100, but had a couple outliers that looked nasty on ES. I always strive for perfection , so I expect my es/sd to be tight, just because I like to know my stuff is right.
I got alot of fantastic advice in that thread. I also got , what difference does it make if your just shooting 500 or less. Really ? There are alot of us (I hope) , that even though we cant shoot the distances our fellow hunters out west can, still want a perfect rifle, with perfect handloads.
This is a website. No one can fact check my abilities or accomplishments, but sometimes it seems like you need to say you try to shoot at 1000+ if you want serious answers .
Well, I'm not gonna become a keyboard hero just to get the best of advice. I just hope the elites understand us lowlanders like to strive for a perfect hunting tool too, even though we may never get the chance to stretch its (and our) skill set.
Rant from a short shooter over.

I agree,,, the Internet environment is changing,,, folk-z attitudes and how they respond plays a big role in the responses / posts or the structure of the thread its self...

1'st """is what people read into or not,"""

2'nd" """is how they respond AND if they should click send."""

Len and staff have said this time and time again,,, if there is something that doesn't fit in with you or someone said something you don't agree with,,, SEND A PM to that person instead of battling things out on a open fourm...

AND if your up to speed on what a OP is asking on his or her thread,,, go 1 on 1 by PM with them to prevent miss communication on a public forum...

PM is one of the safest and best tools to allow us to remain civil on a public forum...

Like the old guy said,,, a $0.02 cent reply,,, or a $10 response,,, pick and choose what is best appropriate for each situation...

Food for thought if a person chooses to remain on this forum...

Blinders off,,, let things slide,,, put on a big Grin,,, and enjoy the ride...

All of us would feel this way every time we visit this Web Site...

Best cup of morning coffee to all...

Ha !!!

LOL !!!

; - )

I find less and less of the responses on this forum to be from a knowledgeable source. Read the name of the site people. If you don't practice enough to know your own limits you should not be on here trying to impose limits on others who do. Just look at the what scope threads. Non stop people recommending scopes that don't even track repeatably. Why are those people even responding when they obviously don't use their equipment?

Here's why I signed up for this site. I am getting my grandkids into long(er) range shooting and that rifle she is holding was just built from info I got on this site. The 280AI seemed to fit well for me and the family. It's very, very accurate and can get out there far. I have 6 grandkids, 4 are able to shoot this and the other two in about 6 years will be ready.
I got so much good info and spare parts out of the classifieds that came together here.
Thanks to all of you, good info and discussions, me and my kids are going to be putting many rounds downrange at bragging distance for their peers for many years forward.
One of them might be an F class shooter someday.
That target was at 200 yards working up this load for my kids deer hunt.
Thanks all.

Attachments

• 20191011_163438.jpg
    20191011_163438.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 88
  • 20190913_100116.jpg
    20190913_100116.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 88
Yep, Even though I don't get the chance to take truly long--long range shots where I hunt, I still want to be as accurate as possible with my gear. This forum helps me with that even though most of my shots are under 400 Yards. Lessons learned from LRH can actually improve your short range shooting. It has improved mine.

I think what a lot of the long range partakers dont understand is this site is the HUNTING ACCURACY AUTHORITY on the internet as far as I've been able to find. Just because a hunter doesnt have access to extreme hunting environments doent mean they dont want to perfect their equipment . I started a thread a while back when I tested the first loads I had put together in 20+ years. I built a rifle in the scurg of the shooting world (6.5 creed) and wanted advice on how to maximize my accuracy . I had some wide velocity spreads and inquired about the first steps in narrowing them down. My shooting enviroment limit is 500 yards. The rolling hills and lack of high elevation vantage points makes it nearly impossible to see a deer even in wide open, manicured fields beyond 300 yards. I was shooting well under half moa at 100, but had a couple outliers that looked nasty on ES. I always strive for perfection , so I expect my es/sd to be tight, just because I like to know my stuff is right.
I got alot of fantastic advice in that thread. I also got , what difference does it make if your just shooting 500 or less. Really ? There are alot of us (I hope) , that even though we cant shoot the distances our fellow hunters out west can, still want a perfect rifle, with perfect handloads.
This is a website. No one can fact check my abilities or accomplishments, but sometimes it seems like you need to say you try to shoot at 1000+ if you want serious answers .
Well, I'm not gonna become a keyboard hero just to get the best of advice. I just hope the elites understand us lowlanders like to strive for a perfect hunting tool too, even though we may never get the chance to stretch its (and our) skill set.
Rant from a short shooter over.

I find less and less of the responses on this forum to be from a knowledgeable source. Read the name of the site people. If you don't practice enough to know your own limits you should not be on here trying to impose limits on others who do. Just look at the what scope threads. Non stop people recommending scopes that don't even track repeatably. Why are those people even responding when they obviously don't use their equipment?

Which scopes? Maybe they had different experiences?

I certainly don't want to exclude or make people feel excluded from enjoying long range shooting & reloading. This is why I don't always like to jump on their case, because they might not know any better or just might be using the best that they can afford. But if they read these threads for a little bit, they will learn quickly and have a goal to strive for.

I am from the rolling hills and mountains of Central Pa. A long range shot on game would be about 400 yds. I am retired , a reloader, a rifle shooter and an avid trap shooter. I love to shoot. My club range is 200 yds. That is an exception around here, most are 100 yd. ranges. The people you meet on a week day morning that are are shooters is amazing. The shooting culture is not main stream like when I grew up. I hope this forum continues, love to read what you you people from the West are up to. I am venturing to Colorado for 3rd rifle season, have never been elk hunting. I have been trying to prepare all summer. This forum has answered many questions just by continuous reading. I read it every morning while drinking my coffee. Keep the info coming, this is a great shooting, hunting information forum. Thanks for all you share.
I used to have land out past Brookville. I could take at theoretical maximum a 1000 yard shot on the strip mined hillsides, but the longest opportunity I ever got was 550.

Yup, there was even a thread about it started by other members petitioning LRH to bring him back. Len closed that thread haha.

I really enjoyed mudrunners (shooting/reloading/gun) post, but I think he started watching too much infowars.

It was a blast (sorry @FEENIX ) watching him and FEENIX go at it. But mudrunner was getting away from shooting stuff and saying some off the wall comments. I understand why he got the boot.
mudrunner was tossed? too bad. I will miss his loving comments about the 6.5 creedmoor. lol. Seriously though, great guy. always had interesting stuff to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.