What’s happening to LRH?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't post as much as I used to, for various reasons. I started out as a "long range hunter", started dabbling in some practical rifle comps, and sort of progressed (or digressed some may say) from there. My main hunting gig is bowhunting, but I have gotten quite a few elk (mainly cows) with my rifle. I will say this, my biggest elk was killed with a setup I sort of tailored around my first few visits to this site. Broz's thread on the 215 Berger Hybrid was a game changer for me. That was one of the most informative threads I have seen on any forum, it was awesome.

On a serious note, I didn't know he was critical of PRS. I honestly thought he was the grandfather of it. Or did he start something similar and it evolved into PRS?

The SH Cup was one of the first but not the first match of its kind. The first matches were designed around sniper scenarios and true field / practical shooting. The NRA Whittington Center Sporting Rifle Match was my first match and continues with what I consider the best rifle challenge there is. Last time I looked there has never been anyone to shoot a perfect score of 60 and there has been shooters like David Tubb who have shot the course. PRS was started in 2012 and has kind of morphed into its own thing that now is quite different and although the SH Cup is a PRS event its stages and premise have changed very little. I think you can benefit from each of them and the skills can cross over to hunting. Too many hunters are relying on prone shooting now and struggle with other shooting positions.

Frank does not care for free recoil shooting because it does not apply to real world sniper applications. So much of the PRS / NRL now is 20 lb. rifles shooting light recoiling 6mm's so they can see their impacts during free recoil. He would prefer someone to learn proper recoil management as is taught to snipers with heavier recoiling cartridges. Yes its all subjective.

Last edited:
The main issue I see, especially as it relates to other hobby-centric forums, is LRH seems to lack catalogued information. Other forums have dedicated stickies with tons of solid, vetted info, and the moderator support to redirect inquiries to that info. I feel LRH lacks some of that.

When I started homebrewing, I learned more by reading the member-created and moderated wiki posted at homebrewtalk.com than I could have in 50 individual threads asking questions. Maybe that approach isn't feasible here, based on the huge variety of people, equipment, and components, but it seems like you could put together some sort of beginner's guide to (insert topic here) that could at least be a resource to people.

I like the idea of having sticky's for info that has been vetted. But that would be quite the chore with a sight this large. This sight along with most others have a lot of garbage info posted especially when it comes to load data and velocity. As someone who has pressure measuring equipment for handloading I cringe at the loads and velocities listed here and other sites. If you have ever noticed Len will never give out a recipe, he will only give out a velocity to load for and once I noticed this I started doing the same thing.

The biggest problem I see with this site in the past few years and it is a small one is guys who want all the answers now without having to do the work. Its one thing to ask questions on how to do a load work up but when I see someone asking for an actual load recipe its because they are lazy.

As far as equipment and gear questions its all subjective and something you might try after reading a recommendation I would bet that in a few years time your opinion may change to something else now that you have time in the field and have figured out what's best for you. But this is ok because its all about learning and sharing. In this area the site does a good job.

I'm most surprised at the amount of new people posting, and the tripe that they're bringing to the table. I've been here a long time, and haven't posted much--because I have way more to learn than I have to contribute. I only contribute what I have firsthand knowledge/experience with, and post questions where I don't. I just find myself shaking my head at some of the stuff that's posted, and when I look at join date and post count, there is usually a correlation. I also know that I'm spoiled from being here since the inception of the site, and learning from everyone that had was here for one goal, and they had quality info to post. Now it's every Joe Schmoe posting everything that has NOTHING to do with Long Range Hunting/Shooting, and just wanting to enlighten us with their thought vomit and ramblings.

Maybe Mr. Len can create a separate sight for "real" LRH, charge $500/year for a subscription. That would keep most of us out. :)

but with the limits being pushed every year you're not a real long range hunter until you kill game at a mile....

I was part of a Team Effort that made a "first round hit" on an old truck at 11 miles! It was an 8 Inch Howitzer though. I "did" shoot up a bunch of half-man sized silhouette targets at 1000 Meters with an M60 Machinegun...that's a 7.62, doesn't that count? Ha I'm just having fun with you guys, I understand the frustration, but in a Free Forum, its inevitable. may as well enjoy Life and have fun doing it, I say. But "for me", without knowing how to read the wind "out there", I may as well be doing "Indirect Fire", ha.

I've been here since 2001 and have seen the site evolve and change drastically but I still enjoy it immensely.

Len and his sons do a tremendous job of keeping the bickering and arguing down here and that's one reason I like LRH. Many forums degenerate to useless places because angry people take up residence and shout down anyone that disagrees with them which in the end is almost everyone.

Yes this forum has changed and it isn't all about long range hunting nearly as much as it used to be but you just have to be better about filtering what you read and not get caught up in what doesn't actually interest you.

By the way... The wind is NOT MY FRIEND!!! LOL

Yes butt it gets like that some times. this forum is the reason I can shoot long range and have the gun that can. my longest shot down here in the south is 100 yds at tops but now I am hunting up north it opens up 4- 1000 yards. now to get back to the forum I am only in too this long range hunting for my grandson if I can get the gun scope and proper know how from u guys I'll pass it on to him because he is the future and( hell what gun is next long range ones) too go them goof balls after guns they get AR s what's next
Actually it isn't the reason.
Not saying you didn't learn things here about some of the equipment you use, but the reason you can is because you did, and that's how you learned.
And so can anybody else who chooses to learn the way you did.
There is a major difference between a professional athlete and a hunter who can kill an animal at long range.
Maybe including a very young hunter.
We have become a technicaly oriented society rather than a visually oriented one for the most part.
Hunting/shooting is and always will be visual, especially long range hunting/shooting.
Seeing you can is believing you can, and also believing that the gun your using can.
And it isn't nearly as hard as many think or some might have you think.
As for changes in the site, i think the past had a higher percentage of doers and less talkers.
And I'm not intending that to be criticle, just my own opinion.

Any single human endeavor is made up of many things. LRH covers a lot of ground. I did some R&D in the latest laser technologies but if discussing breaking the boundaries in this single area, I might have to discuss my tools, cryogenic cooling systems, safety gear, etc., none of these having to do, specifically, with lasers.
Personally, I like the variety and there are enough forums to address most all topics.

Never visited 'Snipers Hide', don't like the name of it for starters. Like the Savage forum. I find that forum to be a place where people like to boast about their feats and I don't really care about them so like the 'Hide', I'm not visiting.

This forum has evolved quite a bit and in some ways not for the better, but I filter the posts I reply to, in fact, I don't even bother to open the threads I feel aren't in keeping with Len's original focus.

Lots of boasting on here as well. I gloss over that crap.

It is a public forum and as such can be viewed by anyone and posted on as well

I'm discriminate so I don't look at most threads because they aren't germane to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.