What’s flatter 6.5PRC or 280ai??

6.5-300 Weatherby.... it's noticeably flatter shooting than both rounds you're considering, and with 140gr bullets carries plenty of energy to 600yds.
When you buy into a a super magnum you are in reality buying it for extending your range. Same bullet going faster = more range. It's not about energy... The bullet design dictates its terminal performance for it's given intended speed range. Keep the bullet in that range for best terminal performance on game and then it's all on you to put it at the right spot.
Not saying that the 6.5-300 Wby is not awesome because it is...! Just thinking that it is a bit much for under 600 yard hunting. Too much meat damage when used up close unless you use mono bullets like the Barne's or Hammer's.

No, realistic. I used very comparable BC values for a reason. Regardless, the BC of the 162 which I use too is higher at 670. When running it at the same speed, which it does, it nets .3 moa difference at 600. The bearing surface on the 162 is massive comparte to the vld so the speed difference to pressure is virtually the same.

In the end it is 9.2 (162) vs 6.8 (135) or 2.4 moa difference at 600 or 15".

I like the 7mm but I'd take a 156 EOL in the 6.5 at virtually the same speed without hesitation. I run a 156 at 2910 in a 22" and know this bullet runs 3000 plus in a 26. IF you compare the 162 at 3k to the 156 at 3k the 2 bullets are virtually identical in performance.

Totally agree with you on the 156 EOL in the 6.5. It gets the job done with much less drama over the bigger 7mm's.
It's getting really hard to justify a 7 SAUM or 280AI with what the 6.5's can now do... Especially if you plan to use a bigger caliber rifle for elk on up.

Totally agree with you on the 156 EOL in the 6.5. It gets the job done with much less drama over the bigger 7mm's.
It's getting really hard to justify a 7 SAUM or 280AI with what the 6.5's can now do... Especially if you plan to use a bigger caliber rifle for elk on up.

I've run 6.5's for a while and have been happy enough that I left the 7's at home. In fact I cleared out the safe when I put this PRC together. It's a nice compromise and blend of performance. I don't think a guy can go wrong with either 7 or 6.5, just have to know the difference and what I means to the shooter.

When you buy into a a super magnum you are in reality buying it for extending your range. Same bullet going faster = more range. It's not about energy... The bullet design dictates its terminal performance for it's given intended speed range. Keep the bullet in that range for best terminal performance on game and then it's all on you to put it at the right spot.
Not saying that the 6.5-300 Wby is not awesome because it is...! Just thinking that it is a bit much for under 600 yard hunting. Too much meat damage when used up close unless you use mono bullets like the Barne's or Hammer's.
The OP said he'd like something really flat shooting...the 6.5-300 Weatherby is really flat shooting! Even at shorter ranges this attribute makes placing a killing shot much easier.
Of course meat damage is significant if shoulder shots are taken but stoutly constructed bullets like the 142gr ABLR are not overly destructive in my experience. And I like DRT.

280 AI

The attached is our whitetail / mule deer load (we found pigs DO NOT enjoy it AT ALL either) 150 NOS ABLR, ES-7 3,170 FPS all season load in Texas with a similar Node at 3,260 for a fall/winter season load. 26" Bartlein 5R Barrel

Mild to Shoot, Seems to shoot everything well...

Attachments

• 3CC23AD9-D6C8-4540-8991-4DE1C4864C56.png
    3CC23AD9-D6C8-4540-8991-4DE1C4864C56.png
    7.5 MB · Views: 165
Just another wrinkle that the OP did not mention so may not matter...I am going to South Africa for a plains game hunt this year. Minimum caliber required by the outfitter is .27. If you stick to deer size game either would be fine as long as there are no caliber restrictions anywhere you plan to hunt them.

For most hunters a few dozen shots a year can you by. For most target shooters you could go through that in a morning. These leads to two other comments, barrel life between the cartridges of which I have no knowledge and cost/recoil etc of long days of shooting targets with either round.

Get a 7WSM and leave the 6.5 PRC in the dust.

162 ELDM 3190 fps from a 26" krieger with rl23. That's a .670 BC @ 3190fps. 7.75 moa to 600 from a 200 zero. There's not a PRC or 280 AI load that can beat that.

A 280 AI with that same eldm will get you to 600 yards in 9.5 moa if you get 2950fps. The PRC will most likely be flatter than the 280ai but it's so close I wouldn't let the flatness of the round be the deciding factor. I would go with the 280ai for longer barrel life IF you reload. If not get the PRC

And the 28 Nosler leaves 7 SAUM in the dust? The Op didn't ask for opinions on rifles with 25 ft/lbs of recoil he asked for opinions on the two cartridges.

And the 28 Nosler leaves 7 SAUM in the dust? The Op didn't ask for opinions on rifles with 25 ft/lbs of recoil he asked for opinions on the two cartridges.
WSM not a SAUM. If you're going to try and correct someone do it correctly? The SAUM is ballistically inferior to the WSM. My reference of the WSM is a direct comparison to the PRC. Also notice the bottom section of my reply which directly addresses everything the OP wanted information on where I provided info for whatever his ammunition source is.

Semantics, Pardon my typo, the 28 Nosler leaves the 7WSM in the dust, now you are properly corrected, do you feel better?

Do you own a 280AI?

Sure do. Kimber 84 and it likes 160 accubonds and I gave advice on the 280ai. I also have 284 win, 7wsm, and 7rum(leaves the 28 Nosler in the dust)...

My 280 AI likes 160 accubonds over imr7828 61.2 grains fed 210m Nosler brass oal 3.300... sub 7 pound gun that shoots 1/2 MOA to 400.

To the OP both cartidges are well proven for very high accuracy/consistency and are rather easy to load for. Given the same shooting style and using the same temp of powder the 6.5 is going to burn thru the barrel sooner.

Some people are more recoil sensitive than others. More bullet mass and more powder equals more recoil. I have never found even the 28N with 195 EOLs uncomfortable to shoot without a brake. But would not want to rack off a 100 plus rounds in an afternoon PRS comp with it either.

Given what you want and not adding in things you do not mention as concerns the 6.5 is the better choice.

* Lighter recoil
* Less costly to reload
* Until you stretch out past your range mentioned it will shoot a bit flatter.
* It's more than enough for even large deer within your range limit.
* Plenty of good bullet choices.

The 7 and its benefits do not really come into play until you either step up in game size or increase range.

I am a serious pro 7mm guy, as its a do all caliber, but for your specific goals the 6.5 is the smarter choice and you now have ADG brass. Both are good choices and would work well. There is not a bad choice just a slightly better fit based on your mentioned priorities.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.