6.5prc vs 280ai for my specific use case...

I have had great fun with all my savages. I love my 6.5 prc desert tactical. A couple thing though.....

The mag dont let you get the 6.5 projectiles close to lands...

The prc ammo is absurdly priced if you can find it! Everyone's out except gun broker and it just too much. That includes brass

That said I would go 280AI because the brass is far more realistic to find over the next year and h4831sc will likely be back before h1000 and it will work great in the 280 with 175 grainers. (My friends 280s love 4831

But whatever you choose I'm jelly. I think I need the 110ultralte as well...

So, I'm planning on picking up a savage ultralite for my main "do most things" rifle. I have plenty of bigger stuff for long ranges (300rum, 338lm), plenty of bigger stuff if I need bear stoppers (375h&h, 458win,45-70),plenty of smaller stuff too... Even a 6.5 creedmoor if I need to kill a T-Rex from over a mile away....

I'm looking for something that won't be high recoil so I've limited it to these since the rifle is under 6lbs.

Shots can be anywhere from 40yds to maybe 400-500.

Will mainly be used for caribou, but also for sheep/goats/deer, and maybe moose if it's what I have with me.

I live in ak so bears are an issue, but I'm never without a handgun for them, and I dont hunt them.

The ammo/component shortage won't last forever so that shouldn't matter. I handload, but good, accurate store bought ammo availability is a big plus for me.

So which would you pick and why? I bought a 6.5x284 for my wife so I'm somewhat familiar with the 6.5prc, but I don't know much about the 280ai other than the people that have one seem to absolutely love it.
That Savage 110 lightweight sure is a nice rifle. Unbelievably light based on the specs printed. Sure would be tough to build a CFW barrel for anywhere close to the retail pricing. Guessing your end up with roughly and 8lb rifle after bases, rings and scope. Very nice.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.