Went to the local reloading shop today

H

How can you say hoarder and my stockpile in the same paragraph?
Like everywhere on any social forum there is always One! "Stockpile" I used as a term of speech! It may have been better described as a "Stash", but I don't particularly like the word. If I would have used Stash, Cache or Inventory I believe the same words would have been critiqued. Again, it's a term of speech!

WHEN, I saw this ch1t coming down the Pike, a couple of Years ago, I "Loaded up" on enough of, My favorite Berger, "Elk killer, Bullets", Powder and F-215 Mag Primers for, Several Years of, Hunting and some Practice shooting with, My Pet,.. Elk Rifle.
I don't call it "Hoarding" it's CALLED,.. "being Prepared" as, I was, a former, Boy Scout.

Like everywhere on any social forum there is always One! "Stockpile" I used as a term of speech! It may have been better described as a "Stash", but I don't particularly like the word. If I would have used Stash, Cache or Inventory I believe the same words would have been critiqued. Again, it's a term of speech!
Fair enough!

No such thing as a hoarder there are those who are prepared and those who whinge about not being prepared just my observations over the last 20 years

I wish it was that simple. While I agree the concept of hoarder is a bit harsh, truth be told hoarder is someone who allows possessions to negatively effect normal daily life. If having a temperature controlled basement with 200k in components doesn't hinder life I'd say your not a hoarder. Maybe it's a shelf and 2k.... still not a hoarder if you have space and can afford.

Problem with the "should of been prepared" doesn't account for new converts. Reality is the church of 2a sheds youth members like most Churches. We maintain our freedoms and our hobby though converts, something made much harder when stuff like 120 ballistic tips triple in 2 years. One of my recent guys is not much over 20. His family wasn't anti gun but had a 12 gauge and a 22lr with about a half box of ammo for each. I took him down the rabbit hole by introducing him to my guns a few years back.

It's unrealistic to expect him or those like him to not gravitate towards other hobbies. Last week we were doing the gun shop rounds, standing in front of the component section he exclaimed. "I thought this would be a cheaper hobby than mountain sleds, but I think it's somewhere between sleds and airplanes....."

That sentiment is going to translate into our ability to recruit those who view what we do as something worth fighting to protect.

So as I read this thread I see terms like hoarders, stashers, stockpilers, Boy Scout Be Prepared but I am struck by the facts that certain businesses on line and brick mortar are deliberately raising prices beyond normal expectation for inflation etc. Those that purchased prior to the "wave" I salute! You have done nothing wrong from my perspective.

The issue I see is "price gouging" and it becomes a real interesting question if these actions warrant investigation by those states that "might" have sufficient language in their price gouging laws. The general requirement is "during an emergency" but again some states have little more inclusive language. Firearms, ammunition et al are included in those products deemed protected.

So I wonder if a complaint were to be filed in Texas against Gunbroker based on their past history with the TX AG be a way to start an interesting wave of our own. The "state of emergency" can be state not Federal. And Texas I believe just issued one based on border.

I am not an attorney nor stayed recently at a Holiday Inn Express so just a thought while loading 300WM with 196HH at reasonable pricing.

Interesting discussion.

8C3ACABB-3C89-4622-B025-AD5684B7B9A5.png
08AA0BD0-6975-4AEB-999B-4A7B2A252062.png

The / means 1# price & the other side is 8# price.
Powder Valley is at 45/316 for H4350 & H 4831. MidSouth is about the same. Midway is 54 & 55. Brownell is 47/385 H 4350, & 54/385. Natchez is about the same as Brownell. Hodgdon is 61/410 for either one for H4350 & H4831.
Somebody is trying to stick it to somebody.
With prices going up on everything. They'll be lucky to sell any of it, because the cost to just live is out of sight too. So less money for fun things.

Found these unicorns 7mm 120 gr ballistic tips. But that price wow. Guy had some powder including H1000. Hodgdon powders that were $ 35 # running $ 52#. No large primers. Some small rifle. Still adjusting to the new paradigm .

View attachment 409683
50. Nosler only sells their hunting bullets per 50.
Holy freaking smokes!!!!!!

I'm in Canada and thought I was getting taken to the cleaners at 44.99 CAD (like 35 bucks AMERICAN I think) per box of 50 for my .257. Something is not adding up here….

Time is the most precious commodity.
Gas getting to and from the store, when your truck gets 14mpg also adds significantly to the cost of procuring bullets, brass, primer and powder.

When I pass a gun shop or sporting good store, I'll stop in. I've been pleasantly surprised by things like 209 primers, despite being $56/K.
There's only one shop I will make a point of going to to shoot the schnitt. The owner is in his late 70's and a wealth of knowledge - which I am absorbing as much as I can.
Fortunately, I amassed a few years worth of every component for all the calibers that I shoot, much of it in the pricing nadir of the Trump years.
Hoarder? Sure. Whatever. Even if supply is totally cut off, I'll be shooting for a decade or more.

The value of knowledge gained from those old timers that will help you bypass some of those expensive or painful "learning experiences" is priceless, if you get why they're telling you.

75+ year old folks tend to have a more refined take on the stuff that's truly important. No time for bs and chest thumping.

56 per k is better than anyting I've seen in a bit..

Last edited:
As a guy that is comfortable with his "stash" or whatever you call it and has always been ahead of the price gouge game in guns, ammo, and loading supplies.... I'll advise y'all to follow the political winds and wait for the panic to subside behind every shift to the left.

If you can't wait then you fall victim to the drama driven effect to the supply and demand which is inevitably massive price gouging.

This time it was particularly bad due to COVID exacerbating all the other political problems and we had an historical shortage and resulting massive price jumps plus inflation has worked its ugly fingers into the equation(s).

Shoot less or whine less. It's your choice but this too shall eventually pass.

Look at the UK. They are over 11% inflation and that may be coming here.
Some big Co's are laying off people. That and high inflation signals we are at first base on the downward spiral in a recession.
Can't pass out money like Biden did and expect anything different than Recession.