Went to the local reloading shop today

cajun

Found these unicorns 7mm 120 gr ballistic tips. But that price wow. Guy had some powder including H1000. Hodgdon powders that were $ 35 # running $ 52#. No large primers. Some small rifle. Still adjusting to the new paradigm .

092A3CF9-4872-4075-B5BE-73891C68E374.jpeg

Needless to say I wasn't buying. Guy is usually pretty fair. Idk what he paid for them. Powders he has usually been ok considering no haz matt. I did see Hodgdon powders on their site are $50# so he was competitive. IDK still trying to adjust to the new price structure.

Needless to say I wasn't buying. Guy is usually pretty fair. Idk what he paid for them. Powders he has usually been ok considering no haz matt. I did see Hodgdon powders on their site are $50# so he was competitive. IDK still trying to adjust to the new price structure.

It does require we ask the quesion, who's buying this stuff. I mean for the stimulus baller years it made sense, and guys in the trades had record setting years so some high priced demand seems warranted. I saw 52$ retumbo and equally high 869 with a limit of one. 6 months ago that was scalper gun show prices. Found some powder for the 243 and smaller for 32 and 34 the other day, given energy prices it seemed fair enough. Just can't bring myself to buy 50+ a pound powder for boomers that burn 100 grains a trigger pull. Find it hard to believe given inflation and the decimation of invested wealth the last few months that we have a market for mass 50+ pound powder.

It does require we ask the quesion, who's buying this stuff. I mean for the stimulus baller years it made sense, and guys in the trades had record setting years so some high priced demand seems warranted. I saw 52$ retumbo and equally high 869 with a limit of one. 6 months ago that was scalper gun show prices. Found some powder for the 243 and smaller for 32 and 34 the other day, given energy prices it seemed fair enough. Just can't bring myself to buy 50+ a pound powder for boomers that burn 100 grains a trigger pull. Find it hard to believe given inflation and the decimation of invested wealth the last few months that we have a market for mass 50+ pound powder.
I hear you. Powder on Hodgdons site is $50#. Primers doubled in price. I keep telling myself it will come down but Idk. I'm good for now. I guess we will see.

Question: who is really the scalper? Manufacturer? Wholesaler? Retailer? I see prices at my LGS that are more reasonable so I am betting it is the retailer trying to "Cash in" at our expense.
I think you may be on to something, just amuses me that the very people who should be helping the shooters and there sport are boning it...can't quite figure this out but my barrels are all getting a break from heat and solvents...