Went to the local reloading shop today

This 'new normal' pricing in the reloading component industry is just an illusion orchestrated by those who created the shortages and will only last as long as average people suport it.

Our shortages and high prices come from 'investors' in this country ready to pounce on anything they can make a buck on. We have a boom and bust driven economy, and these cycles are absolutley controlled by the deepest pockets. They are able to collectively, consciously make markets shift by thier buying power and ability to sit on it long enough to cause a shortage and shift the prices. Start very quietly buying stuff that's needed at low prices, slow enough that nobody notices until they have a very large supply of it. Then all of a sudden buy up everythig avalable to create a shortage. When one of thier artificially created shortages hits (I.E. primers), it starts the prices edging up which makes average people want to buy it even more either as an investment or just to have it before the price goes higher. Mr deep pockets holds onto it just long enough to make prices double or triple (whatever the market will bear) then dump it. It is easier now than ever to not only keep their finger on the pulse of the economy and coming trends, but also actually create non organic demand spikes as well, with the speed of the internet and 'influencers' that are hired to shift public opinion.

They have super deep pockers and are in the wholsaling side of the supply chain. The shortage of 2013, it was .22lr ammo because that's what everyone wanted- the artificial shortage made people buy because they were afraid if they didnt get some now, they may never be able to at the 'new normal' price. Investors slowly start letting .22lr trickle out at double the price. This go round it is reloading supplies (not dies, presses, etc, mind you, just powder and especially primers). Thing is, anybody that wants to, can make bullets. Not everyone can make powders or primer. That's why we can still buy bullets at will (except for the most popular stuff) and not primers. Its all about the ability to control.

These guys really have their finger on the pulse of the economy and only care about making a $ and nothing more- even if it ruins the economy because they make money when it goes down, and when it goes up.

Case in point- At one point it was investors buying oil as a hedge against the falling dollar that drove oil prices up. They made money selling after they drove the prices up, then they jumped off of that when high oil hit its peak and got into real estate while it was cheaper, and all of them jumping on that drove up prices so hard and fast people couldn't afford their housing anymore- combined with that, and the selling off at the very peak made it burst so then they took their huge piles of cash, got into ammo which did the same thing to that.

They gradually started buying back rentals at the new super low prices until they owned most of them. They now had more control over pricing because the ones colluding owned a larger percentage of the rentals than they used to, and started charging more for rent as demand started coming back on and the economy came back. It got to the point where people could buy a house cheaper than renting- which made houses start to spike and now we're back at the point where housing is insane again- the thing is, as long as people have the money to pay the crazy prices, they will!

Only when the consumers run out of money will demand go down enough for prices to drop. Right now, long range shooting, shooting sports, and gun collecting/ showing off of wealth through gun collection posts on the internet has gotten to be a rich guy's hobby and a status symbol so that's how we see these sustainable crazy prices. Only when the rich guys move onto something else will we see normal prices return. Then nobody still in the gun industry will be able to make a buck again.

Lovely, isnt it, how primer manufacturers are colluding with investors to not sell any stock to anyone who will actually sell it to consumers, so thay they can manipulate prices?

The wheels for this primer price boom started turning a long time ago.
Funny how there are no primers to buy ANYWHERE (well, just enough trickle to keep people from thinking the goverment made them stop making them) and the stuff that's out there is TEN TIMES what it was 10 years ago.

Last edited:
Apologies for the novel above.

Just one more point that's a little off subject but weighing on me heavily. The way that investors do things, does it worry anybody else that Bill Gaetz had been slowly, very quietly buying massive amounts of farm ground until someone noticed he's now the largest farmground holder in the country?

Makes me wonder what he knows. What's planned with regards to private property rights and environmental regulations? I don't imagine its going to be good for individualism or small farmers.

Back on topic, I found a great mom n pop supply shop a couple hours away- really decent people and they're really trying to keep prices low but absolutley cannot find primers to buy at wholesale and he has normally had a very strong supply chain. They're just not available amywhere.

You have to consider the real affect of inflation. The government dropped 4 trillion dollars into the economy. Roughly 40% of the money supply came into being during the covid response.
Yes, the dilution is the broad economy wide cause in this round, along with increasing minimum wages (it never fails to do so), mandatory vaccinations at large comanies in states with lots of shipping ports and manufacturing causing goods to come to a standstill and corresponding shortages in labor and goods. The shortages and excess money in people's hands created the demand spikes that got it going.

The russian invasion started prices heading up *immediately* on things like natural gas, oil, and grain even though none of the real effects from that were hitting at that time. The immediate jump was fear and uncertainty based.

There were a few artificial triggers that happened to get the ball rolling as well, in order to try to shift blame away from the root cause you outlined above such as the ship getting stuck crossways in the suez canal, starting the shipping snarl that backed things up there, and the oil pipeline that went from texas to the east coast that got "hacked", that sent fuel prices heading up. That's when they were still saying the inflation we were seeing was 'transitory' haha.

These spikes at 50 to 300% that we are seeing on certsin things like reloading stuff and real estate are planned, and only set in motion when investors are well positioned to take advantage of the spike.

Every single one of the factors I've outlined
including the relentless push for excess consumerism (rather than saving and investing) serve to shift weath and real estate (and corresponding control) out of the hands of the many and into the hands of the few.

Last edited:
20221116_134014.jpg

Walmart yesterday. Those are nearly pre-pandemic prices^^
I like both of these powders for reduced loads (I know, wrong forum but practice is practice :D )

Attachments

• 20221116_133923.jpg
    20221116_133923.jpg
    657.8 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
I'm a Nosler guy but have been shooting some Hornady bullets. I may not go back. Cheaper and still get the job done and more importantly you can find them.
I jumped ship on Nosler too.I shoot Hammers mostly and Hornady because they are always available!
The first several elk I killed were with Hornady Interlock cup&core bullets.At 250 yards a cow elk died just as quick as with a 30 cal 180 gr Partition.
Just saying

Last CCI LR primers I purchased during the China Virus were $40 per Thousand. That was my breaking point in the primer money grab. My previous primer purchase was $15 per thousand which took me years to burn through. I just don't shoot as much as I once did. I still have powders in my safe that I paid $12 per lb and less. It seems that once they set the new bar during the China Virus and made record profits due to people making scared purchases at any price, they found people that will still buy no matter what? Powder and Primer hoarders are the average reloading component buyers worst enemy! People just need to stop buying and hoarding for the apocalypse then prices will have to come down? It is pretty simple capitalism, stop buying any overpriced commodity for a period of time and price will come down. I'm sitting on my stockpile until this buying frenzy settles down. If prices don't come down, I'll be done! Can't afford to keep up with the Jones's.

I've posted this before but, my LGS told me flat out that all of his powder and primers get sold at auction on the net. He claimed to have received a palate of primers recently and is currently selling all of them on the internet for whatever the market would bare. None were being sold in the store where it would alienate his customers to ask those prices.
Yep, said the same. Several times. All those primers on GB aren't leftovers from three of four years ago.

H
Last CCI LR primers I purchased during the China Virus were $40 per Thousand. That was my breaking point in the primer money grab. My previous primer purchase was $15 per thousand which took me years to burn through. I just don't shoot as much as I once did. I still have powders in my safe that I paid $12 per lb and less. It seems that once they set the new bar during the China Virus and made record profits due to people making scared purchases at any price, they found people that will still buy no matter what? Powder and Primer hoarders are the average reloading component buyers worst enemy! People just need to stop buying and hoarding for the apocalypse then prices will have to come down? It is pretty simple capitalism, stop buying any overpriced commodity for a period of time and price will come down. I'm sitting on my stockpile until this buying frenzy settles down. If prices don't come down, I'll be done! Can't afford to keep up with the Jones's.
How can you say hoarder and my stockpile in the same paragraph?

I'm a Nosler guy but have been shooting some Hornady bullets. I may not go back. Cheaper and still get the job done and more importantly you can find them.
Yup, those ELD-X's really work, well for us and ARE,.. very accurate ( Sub 1/2 MOA ! ).
Three Mulies with, one - two Hops,.. DRT !
And Only, $40 - $45.00 a Box of, 100
Sierra Game Kings, work Fine, too !