Weird stuff @ the range...

Canvsbk

I stopped at the range today to get rid of some .38's before this weekends IDPA and like everyone else around here I made the quick look around to see what brass I could pick up.
I would call this the most unusual pick up for me ever. 3 what appear to be once fired .264 WM. Here in southern Michigan that would be considered pretty exotic.
What's the strangest pick up for you?

I picked up a woman at the range once she turned out to be pretty weird. Does that count?:D

As for odd happenings ect, the list is long. From the guy that insisted his 4gr over max load was fine as he was hitting the bolt to force it up, to the guy that cranked off a 270 win in a Tika rifle chambered for 270 Weatherby (that one sent pieces of the magazine to all 10 benches, and was the first time I've ever seen a grown man literally pee himself))

to the guy that cranked off a 270 win in a Tika rifle chambered for 270 Weatherby (that one sent pieces of the magazine to all 10 benches...

How in the world did he get it to go off? They share zero case dimensions (except neck dia).... wow, should have bought a lottery ticket instead.

Ole boy who put his eye literally up against the scope on a 06 and cranked it off. You could not see his eye from the skin flap laying over the top of it. Worst was he kept trying to put the flap back up and act as if he was ok.

Watched a couple of guys at a public range sighting in their rifles in preparation for a guided antelope hunt, they were leaving for Wyoming the next day. They were both shooting Browning BARs one was a 7mm RM the other a .300 WM. Both were shooting Winchester Supreme ammo. They were shooting at the 25 yard berm with elbows for a rest. I asked if they would like to use my rest and bags to shoot at 100 yards, it was obvious that neither knew what a bench rest was let alone how to shoot off one. One fellow declined, the .300 shooter decided to try since he was "pretty well lined up" . I gave him a couple of pointers and stood back. He shot and I couldn't find his bullet hole so we walked down to look, the hole was about 6" left and 8" high, back to the bench and shot #2 sent. Another trip to the target showed but a single hole, I said you either put both shots in exactly the same hole or the second one missed the target all together. He responded that 2 shots in the same hole was good enough and away they went. After they left I picked up his fired brass and as it turned out his second shot had been one of his buddy's 7mm RM rounds. That would qualify as my strangest range pick up, a 7mm RM fireformed in a .300 WM chamber.

I have often wondered whether they got their pronghorns.

Bob

sighting in my 30-06 several years ago... 180 grain Sierra Gamekings... groundhog crosses the range at 85 yards... and STOPS and looks at me.

I wish I could say I avoided the temptation... but there's no range officer at this range... sort of out in the middle of nowhere... so you know the rest of the story. :D

Probably the day I was shooting a muzzleloader, and following a reload, looked and saw legs under the target frame. Quite a few folks on the line, line hot, nobody called for a break, no light no buzzer. Fellow got out of his truck walked past everyone and hung his target. Why he felt the need to go behind the frames as well who knows, but when he came back he walked through the line to his truck for a drink out of a paper sack. The strange part was he was known to most of the guys, and I was the only one that had a problem with it, so I picked up my stuff and left. One of the days you find yourself reviewing your thoughts on the inclusiveness of the 2nd Amendment.

A guy blew up a 44 mag Ruger Blackhawk. Imagine doing that to what many considerto be one of the strongest revolvers. I occasionally show members or new range masters the results. The handgun range has stalls with 1/4" wire mesh keeping stray brass from hitting other shooters. The cylinder broke up and two major parts that left their mark on the range which are still visable over ten years later! The largest part of the cylinder flew right and made a dent in a nearby 2 x 4. The dent made a reverse image with the flute in high relief. The only other chunk flew to the left flew cutting through 8 screened stalls just in front of where other shooters would stand. It flew up at a slight angle ripping a 2" gash in all screens. It is an amazing and sobering thing to see. Never knew what the guy did but it must have been a case full of something like bullseye.

I had a Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag send the barrel downrange. When they installed the barrel it cracked the barrel where the threads end and over time the crack got bigger until it failed. Was no shrapnel just sent the barrel about 50-60 feet downrange. We were all dumbfounded when we realized there was no barrel left on the revolver...
Was no problem getting it fixed, Ruger replaced the barrel and sent it back pretty quickly.

This happened yesterday, 40 S&W ammo in a .45 USP. No one was hurt

Attachments

• IMAG0219.jpg
    IMAG0219.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 42
one bright day out on the parrarie myself and 2 others where out looking for jack rabbits or gophers. As we where walking along about 50 or so yards in front of us a gopher popped up noticed us and started running. As I was drawing my HS victor from the holster I yelled FREEZE GOPHER, he froze, I shot and he fell!
The luckyest shot I have made to that date! My 2 freinds laughed and laughed. The next day when I went to work I was met with a verry loud freeze gopher:D

Probably the day I was shooting a muzzleloader, and following a reload, looked and saw legs under the target frame. Quite a few folks on the line, line hot, nobody called for a break, no light no buzzer. Fellow got out of his truck walked past everyone and hung his target. Why he felt the need to go behind the frames as well who knows, but when he came back he walked through the line to his truck for a drink out of a paper sack. The strange part was he was known to most of the guys, and I was the only one that had a problem with it, so I picked up my stuff and left. One of the days you find yourself reviewing your thoughts on the inclusiveness of the 2nd Amendment.[/QUOTE

I think we have a winner , or maybe best decribed as a loser! close 2nd- 270 win in 270wby, third- 7mm in 300wm. And to think I thought finding 4 new 7.7 jap brass might make top 5 of oddities.
As for the rugers blowing up, Had a close family friend grenade a 44 blk hawk w/dbl bullseye load also. Brand new first time shooting it. Very experienced reloader and shooter, just wasn't paying attention. It can happen to the best of us. Buckled the top strap, blew cyclinder in half. No injuries but burnt the hair off his hand.

Gene

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.