Weird Deformed brass

May have oversized the case? Too much headspace to seal with a slow burn?

A low powder charge.
Another possibility, Either a bad primer or primer not hot enough to ignite the charge completely.
I seen cases like that when the 264 Win. came out and no loading data around yet.
They was using the old Military Surplus Hodgdon 4831 powder in low charges for case size.

My 22-243 AI. Did the same thing when I went from a 9 twist to 8 twist barrel and used a slower burning powder. 4831sc at 44 grains with 80 gr. A-Max bullet. Went to mag primers and that helped. Double checked powder weight but still had a few dents. Annealed the brass and problem solved.

Check your load data. You might need a magnum primer. Federal magnum are supposed to be the hottest. Also use a faster powder as long as it's recommended for your cartridge. Do not try a duplex load with a little of fast burning powder next to the primer to initiate ignition. That can be very dangerous.

I've always heard that as a general rule of thumb when using 60 grains of powder or more is when you would need a magnum primer

This has happened to me twice in a couple of weeks. I think my problem is my old Weatherby bras is worn out. As the head seperated too. Could this cause the low pressure and dent as well.

I have had this happen twice, on both occasions it was a brass issue and simply changing brass cured it. They were full power charges and getting a new lot of brass made it go away both times. We went through the the same progression of thoughts as above with no results or cures. One rifle was a 7 RUM and the other was a 338 Edge using Remington brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts