weighing powder scales

subsonic

I am looking for some reccomendations on what other people are using to weigh powder charges. I bought a Dillon Determinator scale but have found that I have to add a lot of powder to see it move on the scale read out. It also has an annoying tendency to drift on the zero.
I am weighing charges in the 7.0gn range and find that at a resolution of 0.1gn's I am getting too bigger error.
The bullet is a 240gn cast lead 44 at 1030fps (similar to a more streamlined bullet at 1000yds or so).
7.0+/-0.1gn will give me 0.6" vertical error at 100yds.
7.0+/-0.3gn will give me 2" vertical error at 100yds.
So far I have found at http://www.scalesgalore.com/oadventure.htm a Ohaus adventurer AR-1530 at $636US 0-150gm's x0.001gm's.
Suggestions please

The determinator is , as you've seen, arguably the worst scale on the market today.

You can go to an RCBS 505 or 1010 and achieve
your desired result without spending alot of
money, if these are available in your area.

Accuracy tip for beam type scales;
Clean all surfaces with rubbing alcohol
prior to each use. The brass flag that
runs between the damping magnets, though non-ferrous, will pick up a surface charge and cause sluggish response. The alcohol evaporating removes this charge and you'll see increased accuracy in the weights.
Also use alcohol to clean the balance
pivots on a regular basis.

I have an older RCBS 304 scale made by Ohaus. It is listed as a pro lab quality scale. It has a double beam magnetic damper and reads from 1 to 1000 grains. Don't know if still available, but a very nice scale.
db
I was just on the web site you mentioned in your post and the Ohaus scale I have is still made and listed as the "Dial O Gram". I would highly recommend this model and not that bad a price.

[ 07-05-2004: Message edited by: dbhostler ]

hoodcounty, My 505 was really good when I first got it but lately if I weigh out 10 or 20 charges then reweigh them they can be bang on or + or - as much as .3grs ant ideas?
confused.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts