Weighing bullets,,,does it make a difference

My Take on this is simple .

It depends how much accuracy you need at the distance you are going to shoot.

The best accuracy is achieved by having everything as close to perfect as possible
because accuracy and consistency is the sum of all things being consistant.

There is a point that it becomes a lot of trouble and may not be worth the effort,
but if you want the very best accuracy all things matter.

So the weighing or matching of "any" component becomes a personal choice depending on what you want.

J E CUSTOM

You should give it a try. Its fun and its educational. Not many things that are educational are fun but this is one of them. :D

Thanks I have considered trying F class but I shoot a 300 RUM and I was told that my muzzle break is not allowed . I thought about just going unbreaked but 10 quick rounds lying down prone could get interesting:) what rifle are you shooting in comp? i guess i need to wake up but i would love to get lucky and win with my hunting rifle:D . It wears a broughton .......

bigbuck

I shoot a Rem 40 X in 308. It tolerates the high number of rounds in quick succession that is needed in f-class. But even it has an eroded throat from me and my two kids shooting nearly 180 rounds down it during a match.

Savage makes some good ready to shoot F-class rifles. A good scope will cost just about as much as the rifle.

At the end of the day your scores will tell you something about your skill and care reloading, the rifle and the scope and finally your ability to shoot well. I don't particularly compare my scores to other people instead I compare them to what I normally shoot. I won the last time I shot but then there were only three of us competing so it meant nothing to win. What meant something was that since I switched from 175 SMKs to 155 Bergers my scores have improved about 10 point per match. lightbulb

I shoot a Rem 40 X in 308. It tolerates the high number of rounds in quick succession that is needed in f-class. But even it has an eroded throat from me and my two kids shooting nearly 180 rounds down it during a match.

Savage makes some good ready to shoot F-class rifles. A good scope will cost just about as much as the rifle.

At the end of the day your scores will tell you something about your skill and care reloading, the rifle and the scope and finally your ability to shoot well. I don't particularly compare my scores to other people instead I compare them to what I normally shoot. I won the last time I shot but then there were only three of us competing so it meant nothing to win. What meant something was that since I switched from 175 SMKs to 155 Bergers my scores have improved about 10 point per match. lightbulb

Thanks for the advice I'll stick with the Remington . I'm a little nuts but i'm not into barrel nuts:D LOL ...... congratulations on your win

Bigbuk

if the names of these gentlmen above sort their bullets, brass exc. exc. and they are winning how could I declare that it didn't work ? The ole saying goes "Proof is in the pudding" :)BigBuck

+1 well said BigBuck. Matches are won and lost in tenths of inches and less so to a reasonable person way of thinking removing all inconsistencys would seem common sense.

Thanks I have considered trying F class but I shoot a 300 RUM and I was told that my muzzle break is not allowed . I thought about just going unbreaked but 10 quick rounds lying down prone could get interesting:) what rifle are you shooting in comp? i guess i need to wake up but i would love to get lucky and win with my hunting rifle:D . It wears a broughton .......

bigbuck

If you would like to shoot F class with your 300 rum just load down to a point where
it is manageable but still accurate.

Lighter bullets will also reduce recoil.

If you can shoot full house loads it would give you an edge with the wind.

Just a thought

J E CUSTOM

If you would like to shoot F class with your 300 rum just load down to a point where
it is manageable but still accurate.

Lighter bullets will also reduce recoil.

If you can shoot full house loads it would give you an edge with the wind.

Just a thought

J E CUSTOM

Thanks JE I believe if i could endure the punishment that the 210's would work well . Can you otr anyone else tell me how many rounds you shoot in a F class match I know nothing about this type of competition maybe i could practice at my hunting club and try and keep score but i need to know how many shots to fire at the target and what kind of time frame that I have ? Sorry for straying off topic .

Thanks,
BigBuck

Bigbuck---just a word of advice because I have had issues with this.

On the large capacity rounds to without going into finite detail are a challenge from a recoil perspective. The big boys have terrible bag manners on LV Class rifles esp with no brake.

You will have fun and a sore shoulder but will not be competitive. Just know it will be frustrating to a certian extent.

Bigbuck---just a word of advice because I have had issues with this.

On the large capacity rounds to without going into finite detail are a challenge from a recoil perspective. The big boys have terrible bag manners on LV Class rifles esp with no brake.

You will have fun and a sore shoulder but will not be competitive. Just know it will be frustrating to a certian extent.

"fun and a sore shoulder" That's waht I was afraid of . I don't want to show up with a big GUN and be laughed at by all the old timers that's been their and done that . i'm young enough to take the abuse but , if I'm not goin to be competitive that wouldn't be fun either .

BB

While this provides for good discussion, it's also where the basis of much that we do -falls apart.
It's why I'm often skeptical, or 'doubtful'.

A good shooter does a lot of extra things in reloading..
So how does this mean bullet weight, or bearing surface culling directly contributed?
And WHICH was the contributor or both?
Even if he told you it does, how do you know? How does he know?
Maybe he does
But I ask because in my view, it would be very very difficult to isolate one way or another. We're talkin tiny variances here amidst an array of bigger variables.

It atleast seems as faith based as MY notion that few would waste their time with it..

Mikecr. Doubting something is healthy and sometimes leads to a better solution.

To help answer your doubt an example of if it "Should" help accuracy is simple= Take a 100
grain bullet and remove 1 grain so there is a 1% difference between it and the 100 grain
and shoot both. at 100 or 200yards drop should be somewhere around 1% difference (Not
even noticeable in most rifles) Now do the same thing at 1000 yards and 1 % difference can
mean the difference in winning or losing. Now bump the distance to 1500+Yards and 1%
can be significant.

I agree that It may not be enough for a lot of hunters That normally shoot less than 300 yards
But when you start adding the 1%s together for all of the components it can make a difference even at closer ranges and simply wont be dependable at Long range.

Even the best ammo can't make a good shooter. It takes Good consistent ammo,good
rifles,equiptment,Good weather and a good shooter to make it all come together.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.