Weatherby Vanguard SUB-MOA vs. Savage 112BVSS

I have never owned a Weatherby, but have had two Savages, and when it came time for a new rifle, I bought another Savage. I think every rifle I buy from this point on will be a Savage.

My Savage model 12, SS 26" fluted barrel will group a five shot group at 100 yards with all holes touching ( with hand loads). The only changes made was free-floating the barrel and having the trigger adjusted a little. Savage barrels are button rifled, giving better accuracy; Vanguard barrels are hammer forged.

My Savage model 12, SS 26" fluted barrel will group a five shot group at 100 yards with all holes touching ( with hand loads). The only changes made was free-floating the barrel and having the trigger adjusted a little. Savage barrels are button rifled, giving better accuracy; Vanguard barrels are hammer forged.

Hey Bama, not trying start a tiff, but button rifled factory barrels are probably no better than hammerforged. Hammer forging is a good method of mass producing rifles and it would be very difficult to say with certainty that one is better than another.

If you pick up one Savage and one Sub MOA off the rack and shoot them, the Savage might shoot better. If you pick a couple more and shoot them, the Sub MOA might shoot better the second go around. There are just no guarantees with mass produced factory rifles. I base my judgement and selection on the features of the riles that are condusive to consistent, precision LR shooting.

Cheers,

-Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.