Weatherby Vanguard

Have an older Vanguard pre-SubMoa floor plate, but it came as barreled receiver from Japan with sub MOA target, was sold by Weatherby with an upgraded stock.

Here is a 3 shot group at 500 yards KD range from a cold barrel, off a Hartis bipod, no rear bag. Ammo - MK248 Mod0. Target is SR3, X ring is 3 inches.

Full disclosure, my rifle, I was not the shooter. The retired former CO of the All Guard Team did.
IMG_4207.jpg

Last edited:
I purchased a used vanguard in 270 win for a friend who did not like it therefore I am giving it to my nieces son.. not because it is a 2nd class rifle but because i am sure it will shoot with or out shoot my 6.5/06 custom .and I do not need two. for sure will shoot 1/2 Inch at 100 metes or less. My neighbor sighted it in for me and offered me a 300.00 profit,but I just want a young man to have this very fine rifle.. It has a butler creek stock and a Timney trigger. For sure it will shoot with the old remington 700's I have .enough said period.

I purchased a used vanguard in 270 win for a friend who did not like it therefore I am giving it to my nieces son.. not because it is a 2nd class rifle but because i am sure it will shoot with or out shoot my 6.5/06 custom .and I do not need two. for sure will shoot 1/2 Inch at 100 metes or less. My neighbor sighted it in for me and offered me a 300.00 profit,but I just want a young man to have this very fine rifle.. It has a butler creek stock and a Timney trigger. For sure it will shoot with the old remington 700's I have .enough said period.
That's a nice gesture and there is nothing wrong with any Howa manufactured rifle.

Giving him a .270 is a great idea for a new hunter, suitable factory ammo should be available anywhere ussually.

Its one rifle that will doost what he needs for years to come.

I have a Weatherby Vanguard, Sub MOA Model (that was the model name, not sure if they still make it), in .300 Wby Mag.

It really is Sub-MOA, with the right bullets, and the right protocol. I have it scoped with a Meopta Meopro.

If you blast off several quick shots on a warm day, the factory bbl will heat up, the third or fifth shot, if you're a five shot grouper may stray a bit.
You want to check the tightness on the strain screws occasionally. The Weatherby site has a place to post questions, or at least it used to, and they were pretty responsive. They will also tell you which bullets (at least which of their house brand bullets) in their experience have the best accuracy in a particular caliber.

Relatively light gun and that caliber makes for some pretty good recoil. I would think an '.06 would be more of a kicker than say .308 or a 6.5, especially at the heavier spectrum of bullets. Less than the belted .300 magnums. On the other hand, it would not be bad to carry around.