Weatherby Vanguard

pikeonafly

I just picked up in a trade a brand new unfired Weatherby Vanguard in 30-06, with a Nikon 3X10 bullet drop comp scope. How good a rifle is this ? And what would be a good long range bullet for this?

The Vanguard made by Howa for Weatherby is a great action. I have two Vanguards and both have good accuracy. Neither are 30-06, but my in-law's 30-06 is quite accurate shooting the Berger 168gr VLDH. If possible try IMR4451 or H4350. Vanguards are much more accurate with a bedded carbon fiber or Walnut stock. The plastic just doesn't get it. The Timney trigger is great on a Vanguard as well. Great cartridge, easy to acquire brass and easy load workup.

You might find if it's older maybe 10 years or more that it could be a Pre "HACT" (Howa term) factory trigger and allows some adjustment.

I don't have any experience with a JACT model trigger but many preferred the older trigger. . You would need to research if the trigger is of concern.

I suggest you tell members what you what the long range bullet is for. Hunting , Target, Game you are targeting

The Vanguard made by Howa for Weatherby is a great action. I have two Vanguards and both have good accuracy. Neither are 30-06, but my in-law's 30-06 is quite accurate shooting the Berger 168gr VLDH. If possible try IMR4451 or H4350. Vanguards are much more accurate with a bedded carbon fiber or Walnut stock. The plastic just doesn't get it. The Timney trigger is great on a Vanguard as well. Great cartridge, easy to acquire brass and easy load workup.
What stock would you suggest for a 6.5x300?

I just picked up in a trade a brand new unfired Weatherby Vanguard in 30-06, with a Nikon 3X10 bullet drop comp scope. How good a rifle is this ? And what would be a good long range bullet for this?
Good enough for anything in North America! And great entry level above average rifles....worth every penny!

What stock would you suggest for a 6.5x300?
Boyd's are another option
This is what my vanguard eventually became
72DB8059-FA8F-4DC7-B6B2-7782AA72DC1D.jpeg