Weatherby Vanguard stock options

Iraqvet2003

Hey guys! BRAND NEW TO THE FORUM!!!! Glad to be here. I had the chance to jump on a deal and trade a 6.5Grendel AR15 that I built for a Weatherby Vanguard with a Douglas heavy varmint style barrel (28" and chambered in 257WBY), a bunch of brass and the dies.... Well here is my problem. The barrel is not free floating in the factory Vanguard stock, and while I know its important, is it worth messing with the factory stock to get the barrel to free float or are there options out there that are under $500 with the right barrel channel to correct this issue?? Any help would be great!!! Thanks!

I have a Howa 1500 HB (same action as Vanguard) and almost went with an MDT chassis for it ($500)when I found Bell and Carlson made stocks for the Howa and Vanguard and I'm glad I did. About $300 including shipping off their website and it's rock solid. I bought it intent on bedding it and haven't found the need. Tightened up groups significantly just being bolted on. I've never had a Manners or McMillian so I can't compare but I think you'd be hard pressed to beat it for the money.

Boyds has a good selection of laminate stocks for the vanguard also. Thumbhole, classic, A5 with a slew of options if you prefer the feel of wood

Floating mine made it shoot much better since pressure from the grip was changing POI. One method I use now for a quick barrel float is to wrap sand paper around long sockets and just change the socket size as I work down the barrel channel. Turns out great.

Floating mine made it shoot much better since pressure from the grip was changing POI. One method I use now for a quick barrel float is to wrap sand paper around long sockets and just change the socket size as I work down the barrel channel. Turns out great.

Yes sir. That is what I do.

Yes sir. That is what I do.

Nice! On stocks where I've opened the barrel channel up for a few size larger contours, I put on a socket extension and hook it up to a power drill. Made short work of it.

Nice! On stocks where I've opened the barrel channel up for a few size larger contours, I put on a socket extension and hook it up to a power drill. Made short work of it.

Slaps forehead and says to self "why didn't I think of that!"

barrel channel tools; even 'custom' stocks need help, sometimes. I don't know where the idea that it's just a "kit" that's put together came from.

Attachments

• DSCF1088.jpg
    DSCF1088.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 132
i noticed that H-S Precision has stocks for the howa/vangaurd as well. Has anybody ever tried these? are the made by H-S? I have a vanguard sitttin new in the box that ill get around to shooting one of these days, but it site in tupperwear.
https://www.hsprecision.com/shop2/r...0-weatherby-vanguard-long-action-rifle-stock/
I have 2 M24/40 on model 70 short actions. Excessive clearance with a light bull sporter/3b. I'm going to a M24/40 contour should fit nicely

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.