Weatherby Vanguard/Howa Follower

parshal

A buddy handed me a Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Weatherby and asked me to make it a 6.5-300 Weatherby. I've not spent much time working with this model. It's chambered and fit to the factory, plastic stock now. I told him should get another stock but this is what he wants for now.

The last round in the magazine will not feed. The base pops up under the bolt when closing. When putting one round in the magazine it wants to pop up rather than stay in place without fiddling. I built up the high side with electrical tape basically increasing the angle and it feeds fine. I can't find any followers out there for this specific model so I'm hoping someone here has dealt with this and has ideas.

Weatherby is going to send me a new plastic follower. I'd rather use the metal one if I have my druthers.

You need a new barrel and you need to adjust the feed lips on the magazine. The threads are metric.

I must not have been clear. I've already rechambered it to 6.5-300 Weatherby and fit it to the action. The internal "BDL like" magazine has no feed lips to modify.

Sheet metal bending pliers.

The feed in a Vanguard or Mark V is controlled by the lips on the magazine box.

To me it sounds like the shoulder on the last round is rising too high instead the base.

Also check which direction the spring is. It is possible to put it in backwards. I'm pretty sure the top of the W faces to the butt stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.