Weatherby Mark V long range build?

pburton

I have a Weatherby Mark V sporter in 300wby Mag. It is a very pretty rifle with a nice wood stock and a polished blued barred action. That being said it is not the most accurate rifle. What are your thoughts on building a long range rig off of this action? It is a 9 lug rifle. I am thinking of having it rebarreled and staying with the 300 wby mag caliber. I have heard that this is the strongest factory action available. But that is what I have read. What do you guys think? Should I just sell the rifle and buy an custom action and go from there?

If I were going to build one on a Weatherby, I would not use a pretty one. There are plenty of them with non-glossy actions and synthetic stocks, and that's where I would start. In your case, you could sell off the barrel (for next to nothing) and the stock, but I think you'd be money ahead to use a different rifle.

If that doesn't appeal to you, then I'd just start with a custom and go from there. The new Curtis action will have a 60 degree bolt throw, and appears to be a great starting point.

I have a Weatherby Mark V sporter in 300wby Mag. It is a very pretty rifle with a nice wood stock and a polished blued barred action. That being said it is not the most accurate rifle. What are your thoughts on building a long range rig off of this action? It is a 9 lug rifle. I am thinking of having it rebarreled and staying with the 300 wby mag caliber. I have heard that this is the strongest factory action available. But that is what I have read. What do you guys think? Should I just sell the rifle and buy an custom action and go from there?

If it's already bought and paid for, might as well use it.

I had a mark V in 300 wby but the one I had shot very well. You could have a good gunsmith pillar and glass bed the stock see if it shoots to your liking if not have it rebarreled and keep the pretty stock not all custom rifles have to have synthetic stocks on them. A wood stock that has been properly pillar and glass bedded will shoot very consistent. And consistency is why you pay for a custom!

I had a mark V in 300 wby but the one I had shot very well. You could have a good gunsmith pillar and glass bed the stock see if it shoots to your liking if not have it rebarreled and keep the pretty stock not all custom rifles have to have synthetic stocks on them. A wood stock that has been properly pillar and glass bedded will shoot very consistent. And consistency is why you pay for a custom!

I have considered pillar and glass bedding. May be the way I go. Thanks

I have considered pillar and glass bedding. May be the way I go. Thanks

I wouldn't waste your time on a factory Weatherby barrel. If it hasn't shot good for you so far, I doubt it ever will. So no sense in throwing cash at a money pit. Take it from my personal experience with a non-shooting high-dollar Weatherby rifle...

Go ahead and spend that cash on blueprinting, your barrel blank, smith work, trigger upgrade, and glass bedding the action into your factory MKV wood stock.

Personally I think a stainless Bartlein Sendero/Rem Varmint contoured, fluted, 26-28" barrel hanging off of your gloss-blued MKV action in that Deluxe wooden stock would look awesome. I'm a fan of the old school custom look.

As most on this site know, I am a big fan of the Mark 5 for custom builds. In fact, for the larger case heads, (.579 and larger) I use the Mark 5 exclusively because of there strength and function).

They are very precisely machined and when properly installed, are extremely accurate and handle high pressure loads very well with little or no bolt lift issues.

Weatherbys traditionally come with light weigh barrels and in most cases this is the cause of any accuracy issues that may exist. And with a quality barrel of a slightly heavier contour, they can be made to shoots lights.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

As most on this site know, I am a big fan of the Mark 5 for custom builds. In fact, for the larger case heads, (.579 and larger) I use the Mark 5 exclusively because of there strength and function).

They are very precisely machined and when properly installed, are extremely accurate and handle high pressure loads very well with little or no bolt lift issues.

Weatherbys traditionally come with light weigh barrels and in most cases this is the cause of any accuracy issues that may exist. And with a quality barrel of a slightly heavier contour, they can be made to shoots lights.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

This is the information that I was looking for. Thank you! I figured that the accuracy issues were a combination of a few things. First the light weight barrel and second is that the barrel is not free floated and action not bedded. I like the fact that this is a very strong action and has a very smooth bolt. Maybe this is my next build. If you are OK with it I will PM you with a few questions. Thanks again!

I am where I just can't shoot it unless it has a Krieger barrel. easy and cheap way to accuracy. I have never bed or blue printed an action. I am now at 7+ rifles with Krieger barrels. . sure wish my mark v .257 had a Krieger barrel on it . would have saved 200$ in components to find 1.5 inch group.

Last edited:
I am where I just can't shoot it unless it has a Krieger barrel. easy and cheap way to accuracy. I have never bed or blue printed an action. I am now at 7 . sure wish my mark v .257 had a Krieger barrel on it . would have saved 200$ in components to find 1.5 inch group.

I would have NEVER bought my Accumark back in 2008 had I known prior that Weatherby had swapped a few years before from their previous cut-rifled Krieger barrels to cheaper inferior button-rifled Criterion barrels...And then jacked the price up...

I could have saved ALOT of money by just never buying one...But we all live and learn.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.