Weatherby Mark V long range build?

As most on this site know, I am a big fan of the Mark 5 for custom builds. In fact, for the larger case heads, (.579 and larger) I use the Mark 5 exclusively because of there strength and function).

They are very precisely machined and when properly installed, are extremely accurate and handle high pressure loads very well with little or no bolt lift issues.

Weatherbys traditionally come with light weigh barrels and in most cases this is the cause of any accuracy issues that may exist. And with a quality barrel of a slightly heavier contour, they can be made to shoots lights.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

The most accurate rifle I have ever been around is a 300 Wby I built in 1994 on a Mark V action. It is a .332 neck reamer I got from Ed Shilen. Needless to say I am also a big fan of the Mark V's.

My pet load is VERY hot in my rifle- in fact if the temp is above 85* it beats the brass up so bad I don't shoot it; but I have shot MANY 1/3 MOA groups at 1000 yards. The rifle is simply amazing. I think Tony Boyer would call it a hummer. The barrel is a Pac-Nor 5/5 NBRSA taper that is 25.5 in long and gets 3000 FPS with 80.0 of 7828 and a 215 Fed Primer.

The 300 Wby is one of the best long range target and hunting rounds ever developed.

Here is my 300 Jazz build on a mark v action. These groups were shot while fire forming my brass. The first was at 300 yards and the coyote was right at 900.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 132
I had a Krieger #5 contour 1:9 twist put on my Mark V deluxe about 15 years ago. Best group at 300 yds was 0.558" and holds 2" or better at 500yds consistently with handloads and a Zeiss 4.5-14x mil-dot scope.

As most on this site know, I am a big fan of the Mark 5 for custom builds. In fact, for the larger case heads, (.579 and larger) I use the Mark 5 exclusively because of there strength and function).

They are very precisely machined and when properly installed, are extremely accurate and handle high pressure loads very well with little or no bolt lift issues.

Weatherbys traditionally come with light weigh barrels and in most cases this is the cause of any accuracy issues that may exist. And with a quality barrel of a slightly heavier contour, they can be made to shoots lights.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM
Hi, I'm having accuracy issues with my 300WBY, stock (actually 2 stocks - wooden and plastic) looks like slightly glass bedded but not pillared, no front barrel support, Timney trigger, Leupold Vary-x III scope. 2in at 100 yds. Try to reload anything from 150 to 220 grains with same results. After all this work I think it is a barrel.My accuracy is definetely suffer from the recoil but I can shoot my factory 7WBY around 1.2 in so flinching is less of a factor (I hope). I have access to borescope but zero experience what to look for. Also are you doing rebarreling or can you recommend somebody, preferably in Arizona? Thanks, Yuriy

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.