Weatherby Factory Primers

HOBO270

I bought three different boxes of Weatherby 257 bullets (Barnes, Spitzer, Spire Point) and I noticed one box had different primers. They were gold like Remington. I thought Weatherby only used Fed. 215 in their ammo. Anyone know more details about this? Thanks.

I have bought many boxes of Wby ammo over the years in many calibers. I have noticed that the primers were either silver or gold. Even in the same caliber like 300 Wby they might be one or the other. So they must use two different primers.

Jeff

To paraphrase Forrest Gump, "factory ammo's like a box 'o chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get."

The primers are most likely Federal 215s. These were developed specifically for the Weatherby cartridges, and they're the most likely candidates. Being nickle plated or left in plain brass doesn't really tell you anything, since the primers were probably run as an OEM item, and not subject to the same protocols as what Federal sells in their own boxes. If they're not Federal 215s, I can be pretty comfortable that they've been developed and tested to being completely compatable with the 215s performance. Don't sweat it, it's not an issue.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts