Weatherby -378

kc0pph

Well I am in the market for a long range rig. Had several offers for 338 Edges and Lapua's but nothing that i was really crazy about. Well I found Local a 30-378 and it is in great shape. It is a Weatherby MK5 Accumark for $1100. To my Knowledge it does not come with anything.

On Gunbroker i found a rifle 338-378 Mk5 Accumark for $1250 including Dies, 20 rounds ammo, 20 empty cases. The guy I am talking with I just am not sure about. He states that he does not have an FFL around him, and he will wait until a Cashiers Check is cleared before he will ship the firearm. I dont want to send a check to a stranger (Zero Feedback on GunBroker), with the possibility of loosing the funds and having no rifle. Because of this I am thinking about going with the 30-378 that is local.

Wondering if anyone had any comments or suggestions about this? Is it worth the risk to get a 338 cal? Can 338-378 brass be necked down to 30-378 (And neck turned)? And finally if anyone has brass or spare dies laying around (Cheap RCBS for now) I would be willing to buy for a fair price.

I think your gut feeling is good on the 338-378. I would not risk it unless I could drive there with cash to get it.

I have owned several 30-378's. A few were factory accumarks. With a bedding job of the front lug area, a trigger tune and a good scope they can be a great rifle. A good friend of mine still has one of these accumarks and we just are in the process of swithing it over from 210 to 230 Bergers. The first thing I noticed is the large case of the 30-378 is a good fit for these bullets. It looks like with H-1000 we are going to be close to 3000 fps with no pressure showing yet. This appears to be a more efficient load than the 210's were.

This rifle is a very good shooter to 800 and probably 1000 but we have not done much 1000 yard stuff yet. So with the limited info yo posted I feel this rifle would work well for you. If you came back and say the words ELK and 1000 yards I will suggest you hold out for a 338.

The 338-378 can easily be necked down to 30-378, as well as std 378 or 416 or 460 for that matter. I have done the 338-378 but not the others. No neck turning was needed when going from 338 to 30 cal.

Jeff

ELK 800? Possibly?

I am sure the guy is a good guy but it is a lot of money to risk. I would be more comfortable sending money to a FFL dealer and having him ship me the rifle when payment clears. This way I have a company with a FFL to trust.

ELK 800? Possibly?

I am sure the guy is a good guy but it is a lot of money to risk. I would be more comfortable sending money to a FFL dealer and having him ship me the rifle when payment clears. This way I have a company with a FFL to trust.

We take several elk every year with a 300 win and 210 Bergers. The farthest I taken one with the 300 was this bull at 803 yards.

DSC02684Small.jpg

I would recommend the 230 Bergers in the 30-378. It is a good match. Elk at 800 will be no problem at all with adequate practice, as far as that goes to 1000 even, as long as the combination of rifle accuracy, ammo consistancy and shooter skill is there for what is required to place it well at that distance.

Jeff

Well that is good to hear. I guess Ill go try and get this rifle monday or tuesday. Should have a scope on order soon as well. Hopefully will win this auction tomorrow for some brass (It is sitting at 100 for 60 pc right now). Ill order dies from Sportsmans warehouse (Unless someone has some that can be had for a good price).

Looking forward to playing with this fun round. Might even load up some ultra light bullets for a prarie dog laser. Once i shoot out the barrel ill decide to go to a 338 or stick with the 30.

Thank you for the input.

Well I was able to convince the bank to insure the rifle even though i do not have it atm so i had them send out the check. Coming is the rifle, 20 pieces of brass, 20 loaded rounds, and 1 set of RCBS dies. Since i was able to get the bank to insure it i am not too worred about anything now :) I will have my 338. I am now Looking for Brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts