We Temporarily Interrupt This Forum

I'm curious as to what bullets we have today were a result of some home garage tinkering? I expect the bullet companies to be "tinkering" with their processes all the time. That's called R&D. But has their ever been someone who altered a bullet, called up a companies and say "Hey, look what I did" and the company give it a serious look?
Vapor Trail still hand-presses bullets in-house. They came up with their design, made it, and sold a lot of them to benchrest guys.

Then they called a big company and got dies set up for the machines and now sell hand pressed and machine pressed bullets. They make 4 bullets in total I believe. I don't want to degrade them saying they do it in a garage, but they aren't a "big" company, when you call you talk to the man himself. He designed something better on their own and now a big company makes the bullets.

There are several of these custom bullet makers out there that tinker with bullet dies just like machinists tinker with reamers. It's another rabbit hole to go down.

One trick we did with Sierra 52/53g 22 cal match kings and the Sierra 70g, 6mm match kings was to trim off some of the tip on the HP, making the bullet shorter with larger Hp, did not take much.

We used a Wilson case trimmer with the case holder. You can control the length to the .001 with this case trimmer, so we loaded the rounds, then trimmed off various lengths.

We had one length that we called, "Whistlers" as they would whistle on the way to the varmint. We got this idea from Calhoun Double Hollow Points. Ground squirrels would not blow up, they just disappeared at the shot, and I am talking just GONE! We would walk out to an area where we had been shooting, and find pieces of a hide, with a foot attached, etc. My gunsmith hunting partner just could not quit laughing when he was shooting these in my 6 BR! Jack Rabbits were in their up cycle where they were destroying alfalfa farmers crops, and we shot them by the thousands. A rabbit was scattered over 15 yards! I actually shot a bob cat hin half out of a 243.

Trimming the bullet length in a loaded round with the Wilson case trimmer produces very uniform results. This would make for some very interesting results on hogs shot with trimmed Match Kings out of various calibers.

When I was making benchrest bullets for the competitions, I was also shooting a lot of varmints. The 70 Speer TNT is a very accurate bullet, but I wanted something a tad heavier. So, I bought the 6mm Speer 75g HP with the Gigantic HP and the Sierra 75g HP, lubed the bullets, then ran them through the point-up die closing down the HP to various degrees to check expansion on Ground squirrels, p. dogs, and Coyotes. Just something to play with. I ended up using the Tougher Sierra 75's on coyotes and the pointed-up Speer 75's on smaller varmints. At that time, the V Max bullets were not in existance.

VM, Years ago I saw a bobcat stalking a doe and a late drop fawn. I gave him a chance to go down a different fork in the road. He didn't so I hit him with a Texas bullseye from a fairly hot 06 with a 150 Bt. The only thing holding him together was his spine and I don't think it would have held for me to pull him off the road a 2nd time. Talk about the pink fog!!!!!!

I know one guy that anneals his bullets to make them softer so they will expand better at long distances. I knew another guy that pulled the plastic tip out of the ballistic tips to get them to expand quicker.

Some guys just love to tinker.

I made my own bullets for benchrest competition for years. You could control the size of the HP by just screwing the point up die up and down, just like you do a full length sizer. You could also use various hardness of lead core, pure lead, lead with 5% tin in it to help control the boat tail from collapsing during obturation. It was fun to play and see how the HP changed expansion characteristics on Coyotes, p. dogs, and jack rabbits.

22 Rim fire jackets added a whole new world on bullet expansion, Sierra jackets seemed to be tougher, and the J4 jackets were tapered where they were very thin toward the HP.''

Memtb, if you think that altering factory bullets is wierd, how about the guys that are blending powders? WOW!

Same here. I've been hand swaging rifle and pistol bullets for many decades, and I have experimented with numerous styles, weights, core/jacket materials, points, etc. Some gave little benefits over commercial bullets, and some were much superior. I could tailor a bullet style/weight to a specific rifle/handgun/load or for a specific intended game or varmints.

Also, I have played with various old style bullets in attempts to improve performance for a specific task. Today and when they can be found, there are far more options and better bullet technologies than many years ago, so while I do not change commercial bullets much anymore, I do modify a few for specific tasks, i.e. Turn pistol SP's into HP's or sharper points to increase BC, tip un-tipped bullets, modify 22LR's RN into FN for small game, open VLD tips into small HP's, etc.

As for powders, creating duplex and triplex loads is a very old reloading experiment, and while it is for the very advanced reloader that I have experimented and had "some" success with, one does not see it used much today. Nor are there many benefits with modern propellants.

Today with shortages, I would expect some people would take available bullets and attempt to tailor those for another purpose. As our society, economies and shortages change, these things will become more common in the future. Finding or creating a replacement for what we cannot find or too high a cost.

When I was making benchrest bullets for the competitions, I was also shooting a lot of varmints. The 70 Speer TNT is a very accurate bullet, but I wanted something a tad heavier. So, I bought the 6mm Speer 75g HP with the Gigantic HP and the Sierra 75g HP, lubed the bullets, then ran them through the point-up die closing down the HP to various degrees to check expansion on Ground squirrels, p. dogs, and Coyotes. Just something to play with. I ended up using the Tougher Sierra 75's on coyotes and the pointed-up Speer 75's on smaller varmints. At that time, the V Max bullets were not in existance.

Yep! We have taken old, cheap 30cal 110 RNSP and swaged them into Spire SP, the old, cheap bulk boxes of 55gr flat base SP and gave them a BT design, and once, I bought a very cheap closeout of a large quantity of 9mm 115gr soft "plated" TMJ's and ran them through a .358 HP swage die to form 38 special 115 HP's that perform well.

While not a rifle bullet, here is just one bullet modification of a 9mm plated TMJ into a 38 Special 115 JHP. Via swaging to HP, 4 creases/tears are created in the original plate giving the HP bullet a very good expansion profile at low velocities.

Attachments

• IMG_0279.jpg
    IMG_0279.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 35
Tracker, we came up with a 6mm 85g HP, Low Drag bullet that was incredible. The boat tail was as long as a Berger 105 with a 12S ogive design, almost as long as a Berger 105 with a tremendous hollow cavity between the top of the lead core and the tip of the HP. The bullet shot incredible with a 10 twist being the absolute minimum under the very best of circumstances. The bullet bucked the wind extremely well, with great speed due to weight, and a large hollow cavity ensured massive expansion on varmints with application to target shooting a given.

I sent 50 of the 85's to Sierra after a conversation with them, but never heard a word. Gene Harwood, NBRSA director, and I were playing with the design, he got hooked on varmint hunting after he quit the competitions.