Waterproof Handloads?

elkregulator

This question might seam trivial to many of you, I apologize.

When preparing for a hunt in an environment that you know will be wet (boats, rafts, rain, etc.), do you waterproof your handloads?

If you do, what do you use? Have you ever noticed any side effects of using it?

Thanks,
elkregulator

I make my hunting loads water resistant - not much can actually make it water proof - with clear finger nail polish. It's just a thickened lacquer that I paint a ring around the case mouth and put a small drop on the primer, then wipe off the excess with my finger - all it needs is a thin film around the joints. Don't really KNOW if it does what I think it does but I've hunted in some long, bad rains and never had a problem.

I think factory ammo is pretty water resistant due the fact all the metal was smooth and clean when it was assembled. Reloads are made with less than clean metal and it tends to be scored somewhat so trying something to improve the seal seems reasonable.

WP

You don't really need to do anything IMO. The seal btwn the bullet/brass and the primer/brass should be plenty tight enough to keep out moisture. If not, you have other problems....

Reloader

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.