223 Handloads

magicofmt

Just purchased a Savage 223 with a med heavy 22in. 1-9 twist barrel. What are some of you shooting for loads. I have 200 Nosler BT's and hornady A-Max's in 40 gr. I have some H-4895 and Varget for powders. Book doesn't show any loads for Retumbo so that probably won't work. I will buy more if you sell me on a load. What are the best small rifle primers, what do you use?
Thanks for your help.

My Savage VLP has a 26 inch barrel so the most accurate loads in my gun probably won't be ideal in yours. That said, my rifle REALLY likes 60 gr Sierra Varminter, 25.5 of Varget, Winchester cases and CCI BR4 primers, .3 MOA all day long as long as there is no wind. 25.2 of H4895 shoots well but not as good as the Varget. I can get .5-.6 MOA with almost any powder and bullet combo I've tried with as long as I've dialed in the charge weight. Buy a few boxes of different bullets, and start experimenting. I'm sure you will find loads with the Varget and 4895 (which you already have) that will be excellent. Gotta let the rifle tell you what it likes. Experimenting is half the fun. Oh yeah, retumbo is way too slow for 223.

Last edited:
I run 69 gr HPBT (sierra or nosler), H4895, CCI 450, and Win brass in my 1:9 twist barrel.

With your 9 twist barrel, you might consider going with a heavier bullet.

With 55gr nos ballistic tip H335 26.5gr fed brass, 205m. Bolt gun only
60gr Vmax Blc2 26gr fed brass,wsr primer. AR
69gr nos cc RL-15 24.5gr fed brass, wsr primer. AR
Start below and work up to posted loads watch pressure signs on brass...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.