Grandpa's Handloads

Takem406

Found some boxes of Grandpa's 270 Weatherby loads. The boxes are marked 72 grains of 4831 (doesn't state IMR or H) and 150 gr Partition. I checked the Nosler and H/IMR data and the max loads are around 68 grains for that powder. These were probably loaded about 35+ years ago.
Did the older powders run a lower pressure? He obviously shot several of these loads. There's about 50 of them.
Also he left me with several boxes of old CCI mag primers. Has CCI changed in the past 40 years? I know they will still go bang, but will they be as accurate and consistent as new ones?

I wouldn't shoot anyone else's reloads other than my own. Not even my grandpa's. Never know what was going on with them. It could be they were left over because he knew they were over pressure and didn't want to pull them down? Ya never know. Someone gave me some 308 reloads and I said thanks then threw them in the trash, not worth the risk.

As for the primers, they would prolly be fine if they've been stored properly. But if in the back of your mind your questioning the primers while your shooting or working up a load, that's one more variable you don't want. I have some old primers too, havnt thrown them out yet but don't plan on using them in anything I want to be real accurate.

Back in the 1960's there was only one 4831 it was Hod. Military Surplus powder. Was sold in the 1960's in 1 lb. paper bags. about 75 cents a pound plus shipping. Where I worked we used to order 100 lb at a time and divide it up in the parking lot. My 1967 Hornady loading book list 69.1 gr (Sixty Nine .1) grains as max. I think I would think about dis assembling the loads and salvage the brass. The bullets would be the one with the relieve grove machined over the partition to reduce pressure. Those bullets would be antiques now. "They no longer machine the relief grove on their bullets". Be safe not sorry if it damaged the gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.