.300 WSM handloads

toyonrocks

Hi everyone! I was wondering what pet loads people have floating around out there. I have a Remington 700 Sps in .300 WSM. It's a great gun and seems to have lots of potential but I can't seem to find consistent enough handloads to be completely satisfied. I've been using 4831 sc, federal cases primed with cci large magnum primers and Sierra BTHP match tips in 168gn. I'm seeing pretty reasonable groups but still getting fliers and feel like my gun is capable of making 1 hole touching groups at 100 yards, which I've only accomplished once and can't duplicate.
Biggest question I guess is what grain tips should I be using with 1:10" twist barrel at 24"? I initially bought 180 gn federal junk ammo just to shoot and accumulate brass and was actually really impressed with its consistency... Kinda makes me think it might be time to switch up the recipe and start from scratch.
Next question I have is what muzzle velocity is working best with this gun?

Really looking for good tips here if anybody has answers please o please chime in!

Take your best load so far and try adjusting seating depth.

Load 3 rounds each at different depths moving in or out .005-.010" at a time.

Somewhere between .010" jam and .050" jump you should find something that performs more consistently.

Be careful if you go from a jump to a jam as pressures may rise dramatically.

-- richard

H4831sc is WAY to slow of a powder for 168grn pills in a shortmag, hell your probably running them slower than a 30-06. H4350 or Imr4350 with non mag primers is your best bet. Every rifle is different even though mine is also an sps, I use 69.5grns Imr4350 with CCI BR2s in Win. Bras, and get around 3230fps avg, I bet your at about 2775fps, try stepping it up a notch, just be careful.

Thanks guys, keep the knowledge flowing,
I don't have much room for seating depth changes with my gun since its a short action. The magazine won't function if the col is greater than 2.85.
I'll try a different powder and get back on here. Think I'm gonna go to cabelas and grab some 180 gn tips and some of the IMR powder suggested. I bought a 1000 cci 250 primers so I kinda wanna use them up but if they aren't gonna make bullets that chase each other through the same hole in the paper I'm gonna have to sell'em and Change that too.

CCI 250s are some of the best magnum primers to use, they will give you a slightly higher extreme spread than standard primers but they still work good, I always keep some on hand. I think personally Imr7828ssc is the slowest powder ever needed in a 300wsm and that would be with 220-240grn bullets and less than 70grns of powder, so magnum primers aren't necessary but they'll do fine.

Buy you a copy of the new Nosler #6 reload manual
it shows how much powder you need for the most accurate load for each powder
also shows the most accurate powder.

You may need to bed the recoil lug if your groups are bouncing around.My 300WSM does real well with 69.0gr of Reloader-22,65.0grs of IMR-4350 and 67.0grs of Ramshot Hunter using 165-168gr bullets.H4831SC is right between Ramshot Hunter and Reloader-22,so I'd guess somewhere between 67.0 and 69.0grs you should find a good load.My loads are not real hot,but perform well in my rifle.The velocity of my loads that consistently groups the best in my rifle is around 3050fps with 165-168gr bullets.

To backwoods: what do you mean by "extreme spread"? Are you saying that the hotter primer is going to cause my handloads to be less consistent with a slower burning powder?
And as for bedding the rifle I really wanna buy a nicer stock than the factory Sps stock but I'm pretty certain the gun is capable making same hole groups at 100 yrd if I can just concoct the recipe! I'm still hopeful..

Exstream spreads are when you run say 5 or 10 shot across a chronograph, then take the highest read velocity and subtract the lowest read velocity.Also don't bother trying to get a good load with 168s and 4831sc, I have tried 70.5grns H4831sc under 175SMKs with 210m primers and it was running 2885fps, my load with Hybrid and 208amaxes is faster and more accurate.

Gotcha!! lightbulb
Thanks, a chrono is the next thing I'm getting for sure. I guess my speed right now by what the books tell me that load will produce. Not a real rock solid analysis though. I'm kinda convinced I need to go to 180 gn tips. Any pet loads with 180's I should try?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.