Was the 6.5 cm really a necessity?

Sorry if this repeats something that was buried in the 8 pages of replies, but I think the fact that that the Creed. does not have Remington in the name helps a lot. Savage and Ruger have really pushed the out of the box precision rifle market and as they launched new guns I bet they would rather not market something with Remington in the name. Hornady not being a gun manufacturer is an advantage if you want a cartridge to take off. Their marketing worked hard and got in bed with a bunch of gun makers to properly blitz the market. I'm not saying there are not advantages to the Creed. design, but like so many things marketing is often more important than the product.

That being said I am building a Creed. for a friend who doesn't reload bc it is not going anywhere so factory ammo should be easier to find than many of it's competitors for a long time. It's a great cartridge, why fight it? You can debate what cartridge is best, but with Lapua now making brass I see no reason not to go Creed. unless you simply want to be a contrarian. (I shoot a 260AI, minor act of rebellion) I learned this lesson the hard way fighting for the 25-06. Someone in one of the early replies said that the Creed. out performs the the 25-06 at range which is kind of true. Actually high bc 6.5 bullets outperform low bc .257 bullets, but unless I buy a bullet company I cannot win that fight, so I build a 260 ai and work with what the market supplies.

I also wish that Lapua would expand their brass offerings. I think they would do well with 280ai, 300 Win Mag, and

I wonder if many (me included) are pushing the pressure envelope on this little cartridge. It almost always seems to have an accuracy node at the top. 3000 FPS with a 130gr is smoking fast. That is factory 270 win speed. My un scientific observation is that the VLD is easier to push than a standard bullet. Conversely, I had a tough time pushing the 120 TTSX anywhere near the speed I could push a standard 120 gr bullet. Must have something to do with this whole bearing surface idea I keep hearing about

Yup, IMO, the whole, "maybe I can make it faster" thing is a phase everybody has to go through. I push a 130 gr. bullet @ 2865 fps (6.5x47) and it predictably goes where I aim it, assuming I do my part. Hmmmm, maybe if I had more friends to brag to I might feel a little different!

I'm pretty much thinking the same thing. Looking at the numbers, it looks like the only real advantage the Creedmoor has on my 260 is better marketing. Good round, don't get me wrong, but remington's Marketing department should be canned imo for letting good rounds like their 6mm Remington, 260, 280 and others just fall off the mainstream.

Remington RARELY has good marketing... The 300SAUM and 7mmSAUM are PERFECT examples. They're GREAT cartridges but the Winchester WSM's greatly overshadowed them due to superior marketing.

But... You can't take away Hornady's success with the 6.5 Creedmore. It really is a great cartridge for long range hunting and target shooting with minimal recoil and their lineup of very accurate factory ammo for it makes it even better than almost any cartridge out there for off the shelf use. I say give Hornady their due and yes I'd love to have a 24" fat barrel on a 700 action and will someday when the crazy prices they're bringing settle down.

You can't beat a Swede. Add a Soderin rear sight, add a grandson, and use cast bullets, and the fun begins!
IMG_2456.JPG

THAT is what I wanna be when I grow up! FINALY I know!!!:D
Short highly efficient rounds very accurate but that does not mean they are good for hunting. I would like to see proof from Berger and Hornady that their bullets perform well on deer size game because our gell test prove otherwise

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.