Was all good but today shooting low?

Well I am shooting at 4200 feet but I hunt bears at sea level and elk all the way up to 8500 feet. So I need it to work at every elevation.

If your barometer is reading about 25.5 inHg, that is your station pressure, so you wouldnt enter the elevation into the program. If it read around 30.00 inHg, then it is corrected and you would have to also enter in the elevation into the program. Same thing applies to any other elevation, at 8500 ft it should be about 21.5-22.00 inHg, and you wouldnt need to enter in the elevation. If it read around 30.00inHg, you would need the elevation.

I just checked another ballistics program (jbm) and I get the basically same drop with the "pressure is corrected" box checked. If I don't use that it is 1.5 MOA high again. I am assuming that I should input all the data with "pressure is corrected". This is pretty a confusing option on these programs.

I think it's really much more simple to directly input the station pressure... the actual/absolute pressure right where you are standing. Make sure you choose "pressure is absolute" or whatever the option is to turn off elevation. As Riley pointed out make sure your weather meter is outputting absolute pressure.

Depending on the software you are using, some programs will the ignore the elevation input field while others will not... I just leave mine set at zero.

It just doesn't make sense to me to use a corrected pressure, as the pressure will have been adjusted as though it were at sea level, and then when you run your trajectory, it will be adjusted again to correct for your particular elevation. lots of rounding off going on in all the calculations and the output solution just seems messy. The reality is if you input the numbers correctly using corrected pressure, your trajectory will still be accurate.

I think it's really much more simple to directly input the station pressure... the actual/absolute pressure right where you are standing. Make sure you choose "pressure is absolute" or whatever the option is to turn off elevation. As Riley pointed out make sure your weather meter is outputting absolute pressure.

Depending on the software you are using, some programs will the ignore the elevation input field while others will not... I just leave mine set at zero.

It just doesn't make sense to me to use a corrected pressure, as the pressure will have been adjusted as though it were at sea level, and then when you run your trajectory, it will be adjusted again to correct for your particular elevation. lots of rounding off going on in all the calculations and the output solution just seems messy. The reality is if you input the numbers correctly using corrected pressure, your trajectory will still be accurate.

Ok if I use the "pressure is absolute" option (altitude option disappears) I have to enter the velocity back up to 2750 fps to get the correct drop. That is what my chronograph said I was shooting so I feel better about that. Maybe that is the answer!

Just a note... You stated you were using 50bmg because of powder shortage.... In the last week all the stores around here have finally gotten in H1000... So you might look around your area and see whats been coming in... Dave

Just a note... You stated you were using 50bmg because of powder shortage.... In the last week all the stores around here have finally gotten in H1000... So you might look around your area and see whats been coming in... Dave

I don't think I have the patience or barrel life to make a new load! I'll stick with slow for now. It will still kill an elk at 1000 yards, so that'l do.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.