Want your ideas for a .22 scope.

4ked Horn

I took my oldest boy to the desert to shoot while Gonehuntingagain and I worked on 700, 800, 900 and 1030 yard drops. I made him a cool little swinging target for twenty bucks (Gone welded it up for us) and he shot it over and over with iron sights. The sights are kind of crappy though and I want to get him a scope. He has a birthday coming in June. The gun is a Marlin Li'l Buckaroo with a 16" bbl.

I want a 1" tube and I want it pretty compact but it dosen't have to be any thing fancy. I'm looking for something less than $50 (if possible) but not one of those 3/4" plastic tube tascos. Fixed power is fine. If they made a fixed 4X Bushnell Sportview without the opjective bell that would be the ticket.

Any suggestions?

4ked horn - I've got a tasco golden antler 4x that I think is 32mm objective. It was on my kids first deer rifle. They go for about 30 bucks I think. If you want specifics I think cabelas carries them. If you want it you can have it. Will only cost shipping from SW Montana.

4ked does it have to be a bushnell? Simmons makes a decent compact scope for the 22 rimfire it's called the 22 mag compact. You can get it in a fixed power version and a variable power version for under 50 bucks. BSA makes decent rimfire scopes also but do to being at work right now and the coputer here sucks I can't really do a lot of research for you. I have used the simmons and for a little 22 it works pretty good! I have one of their variable power versions on my ruger 10/22 and like it somewhat but it takes a few minutes for me to get used to it after shooting one of my other rifles with high end optics due to the clarity and contrast difference. I hope this helps a little!!

For shooting the swingers, I think a red dot sight would be the ticket, at least a better one than the *** that came with his BB gun. I see that Cabelas has a few that would fit in your price range (i'm sure S.W. does too). I think it would work better for him because of the way he has to hold the stock, unless you are planning on using it on the rifle/stock that you are building for him (instead of the Lil' Buckaroo). If you finish that short stock for him, he may not need the scope - he has been shooting the hell out of those swingers once he finds out where he is hitting.

Cowboy, You drive a hard bargain but that offer is just too good to pass up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I looked at all the scopes mentioned here and they would all work nicely and for the right price. I did see that they all paralex focus at 50 yards and that is fine but this scope is going on a rifle for a future long range hunter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif and the golden antler has it's focus set at 100 yards so that also seems to be the way to go.

Email coming.

Thanks all for the rapid and helpful replies.

I have on my 10/22 what I believe to be the ultimate 22 scope. It is a Bushnel Banner 1.5-4. What I like about it is the fact that it has a bullet drop compensator. I often shoot different rounds. Sometime I shoot CCI stingers, if I want to kill something. Standard loads for plinking and CB long and Subsonic for smaller game and not disturbing the neighbors. All the rounds shoot much differently. All I have to do is remember the setting for each round and I am with a quick twist right on. The scope is compact and the power range is perfect for a 22. I have had the scope since 1978 (I believe) and it has worked flawlessly with many thousands of rounds by both myself and my son.

Mr Ranger

Mr. Ranger, Thanks. I will look to see if this is available. I wouldn't mind putting something like that on my J.C. Higgins bolt action.

Oh, BTW welcome to the LRH forums. You are in good company here.

Cowboy, the scope arrived in the mail today and I think it will fit the bill just fine. Looks great for a used scope much less a kids first deer rifle scope. I will get it mounted up tomorrow and it should be ready for an Easter surprise. I can't wait to see how much this jumps the distance for my sons shooting. I might have to look into buying some nice .22 ammo for him now.

Thanks again.

Yea its got ring marks but I don't think it got too beat up. Most of the time he just stuck the barrel into the dirt/snow. I spent a few cleaning sessions unplugging the barrel. Hope it works out for you. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.