Hunting for a "unicorn" scope. Ideas?

entoptics

I'm pretty up to date on optics, so I have a feeling I already know the answer to this question, but thought I'd see if I missed something.

Helping my buddy is build his "dream rifle" finally. 7mm-08 X-Caliber bbl going on a donor Savage 10. He's a "stalker", so 400 yd shots or less (likely a lot less). He's a hunter first, though he would like to dabble in some longer range plinking with me, so he needs low power for the timber and at least some top end for spraying lead at half mile steel.

Is there a scope that fits the following criteria?

1) $600 or less
2) 2X-3X on the low end, 12X-15X on the high end
3) FFP reticle with illumination and graduations (prefer MOA hashes, not BDC style)
4) Less than 24 oz
5) Lockable or capped turrets, but definitely needs finger adjustment for plinking sessions.
5) Decently robust
6) Decent glass

He's FAR from an optics snob, and is fine with his mediocre 10-30 year old 3-9 type scopes, so a $600 modern optic would be a HUGE upgrade for him. I've got an Athlon Ares 2.5-15x50 that's pretty close to satisfying the above if we tape down the turrets for hunting, though it's unnecessarily heavy and bulky for his needs. He's looked through it, and considers it "unbelievable", so that should give you an idea of where he's shopping.

Anyway, anything I'm missing? I've looked around quite a bit, and haven't seen anything that hits all the above points.

Bump him up a few hundred bucks and get a trijicon Tenmile or Credo.
I wouldn't push him towards ffp for what he's doing
We've discussed, and he's shot my FFP scopes a few times, and FFP (w/illumination) is what he wants. He's going to memorize wind/drop values (not hard out to 400 yds), and then just hold over and shoot. Doesn't want to think about mag settings or dialing. I tend to concur with that strategy, as his dope should never be more than a couple three MOA up/down/left/right.

May depend on the scope though, as the 5X-6X zoom scopes will probably have a microscopic reticle at the lower powers, though my Athlon becomes usable at about 6X.

As for "bumping up" he's already balking at $600, so unless the deal of a lifetime comes by, it's unlikely he'll get anywhere near the tier you're talking about.

I'm pretty up to date on optics, so I have a feeling I already know the answer to this question, but thought I'd see if I missed something.

Helping my buddy is build his "dream rifle" finally. 7mm-08 X-Caliber bbl going on a donor Savage 10. He's a "stalker", so 400 yd shots or less (likely a lot less). He's a hunter first, though he would like to dabble in some longer range plinking with me, so he needs low power for the timber and at least some top end for spraying lead at half mile steel.

Is there a scope that fits the following criteria?

1) $600 or less
2) 2X-3X on the low end, 12X-15X on the high end
3) FFP reticle with illumination and graduations (prefer MOA hashes, not BDC style)
4) Less than 24 oz
5) Lockable or capped turrets, but definitely needs finger adjustment for plinking sessions.
5) Decently robust
6) Decent glass

He's FAR from an optics snob, and is fine with his mediocre 10-30 year old 3-9 type scopes, so a $600 modern optic would be a HUGE upgrade for him. I've got an Athlon Ares 2.5-15x50 that's pretty close to satisfying the above if we tape down the turrets for hunting, though it's unnecessarily heavy and bulky for his needs. He's looked through it, and considers it "unbelievable", so that should give you an idea of where he's shopping.

Anyway, anything I'm missing? I've looked around quite a bit, and haven't seen anything that hits all the above points.
If he can find one, the SWFA SS 3-9 with the mil quad reticle.

John

Well, I've been on a similar unicorn hunt....
I can relate to the agony of knowing what you want — and not finding it — "the needle," that is.

Unless you dig through the haystack.... 🙄

Which I have done.

So, here're a couple of Scope Specs Tables from my own search, with most/all of the specs listed that you're interested in.
About 50 scope models or so.

🔸All have holdover reticles (no BDC or simple cross hairs).

🔸If you want FFP, in my experience there are more MIL than MOA reticles available.

🔸The first Scope Specs Table of SHORT scopes and of 3-12x scopes is very lean on illumination, there is only one Discovery model, the HD 3-12x44 FFP.
The other Scope Specs Table (3-18x/ 4-16x) has more models with illumination.

🔸Magnification: You state 2x to 3x on the bottom end — I assume you want a fairly wide FoV (field of view). I found in my research that scopes with the same magnification often have widely varying FoV.
So, rather than looking at the magnification, I would be looking at the FoV.
The Specs Tables make it easy to find the scopes that have the minimum FoV you want.

🔶 I might not have been very good about noting down if the turrets are lockable (all are uncapped turrets) — so I'd check the models you'd be most interested online for this detail.

🔸A note on some of the scope brands that appear in the Specs Tables, e.g.:
• Discovery
• Vector
• Optisan
• Hawke
These names I have rarely seen on this forum, for whatever reasons. However, on several other forums I see these brands frequently, and with good and very good reviews — good for the price — so don't compare NF, SB, or IOR that cost 5-10x as much. 😄

My personal experience with Discovery:
I have a Discovery VT-3 3-12x44 FFP, very short, very light, and bright clear glass. I have had it out a dozen times at least, in severe dust, with dings and bangs, dialing at least 300 individual shots. And it's going strong!

I found my unicorn. Hope you find yours!! 👍🏼

Matthias

❌ 2 Attachments
🔶 Scope Specs Table SHORT scopes and 3-12x

🔶 Scope Specs Table 4-16x / 3-18x

Attachments

• SCOPE Specs Table. For Short Scopes and 3-12x (3-9x) Scopes.pdf
    232.2 KB · Views: 141
  • SCOPE Specs Table. For 4-16x or 3-18x or 4-20x Scopes.pdf
    267.9 KB · Views: 78
@JungleShooter I'm all about good value and new entries, but for my buddy, this will literally be his first "long range" rifle.

I'm unlikely to recommend anything not made by a "major player" (e.g. several options at major retailers). He's relying on me to get his simple build just right, so I'm not willing to take any risks on that front.

I need to make sure he's 100% comfortable with "reputation" before he enters his credit card info on any of the kit he's putting together. I'd rather he take a hit on value, than a hit on his confidence in the system.

I think an extra $400 would open some doors especially used. He's basing a budget off something he doesn't understand fully. Not doubting his hunting abilities. $400 isn't much in this hobby. I thought 2k hunting scopes were obscene till I spent a few years behind Schmidt & Benders which go for more. I don't shoot them on my own dime but I don't shoot $600 scopes either. My 2C.

Have him look at a vx 5hd.

entoptics,

I appreciate how you're looking out for your friend and trying to get him what he needs. 👍🏼 And that you'll be guiding him into the LR adventure! 😄

Well, if the brand name is part of what your friend needs, and you define it as "major player" with "several options at major retailers"* — do these qualify?
• US Optics
• Sightron
• Athlon
• SWFA

*I checked Midway and Cabelas.
And I think SWFA's reputation is good enough buying directly from them won't be such a problem...

These seem to check most of your boxes (exceptions noted): 😊

▪ US Optics TS-12X 3-12x44 — (no illum., 18oz only!)
▪ Sightron S-TAC 3-16x42 — (1oz more)
▪ SWFA 3-15x42 FFP — (no illum.)
▪ Athlon Midas TAC 4-16x44 — (has a really wide FoV for a 4x)
▪ Athlon Helos BTR Gen. 2 4-20x50 — (really wide FoV for a 4x | 3.6oz more weight)

Matthias / UnicornHunter 😉

Last edited:
Is he married to MOA? If he can make the mil jump, a used Bushnell lrhsi or lrtsi 3-12 hits almost all those criteria, and I bet he'll want to start dialing elevation anyway soon.

Glass at least as good as the 2.5-15 Ares I had. I'd say better.
Very robust build. Zero retention and tracking is up there with the best.
A hair over 24 oz
Very good zero stop, capped windage, firm enough clicks to resist accidentally bumping off
Illumination available

Hard to find, but you see them from time to time on classified ads. I got one with a WTB ad, but you have to be super cautious of scammers when you post wtb.

He is in the ballpark for a Meopta Optika 6 FFP or a sale Vortex PST Gen2 3-15x. Both pretty close to his specs. Both good optics.

I think the Meopta can be found in the $600's and same range for the Vortex on sale.