Hunting for a "unicorn" scope. Ideas?

I just mounted up a Athlon Helos BTR GEN2 2-12×42 on a 6mm ARC DMR I'm doing. So far really impressed with it. Slightly heavier than you requested but not much. Mine is MIL which I strongly recommend but it is available in moa.

I have a Hawke 4-20 I like all but one thing on the reticle. It's only available in MIL and more $ than requested.

I've been using a hawke on my Benjamin nitro piston. The folks at the gun shop said it was rated to 50 cal. It's held zero on the air rifle and does check all his boxes for less than $400. Turrets are exposed but have a locking feature. I'll check what model when I get home. It doesn't compare to my shv or hd LHT but that's expected.

Athlon Helos BTR GEN2 2-12×42 MIL: It is available in MOA.

Yupp. Though..., the MOA version is a BDC reticle, so no evenly spaced hashlines.

I was going to mention this scope, because I think it's got great features(!), and I read a lot of good about it, but... — you said "for long range" so I thought you wanted something with more magnification on the top end.

Matthias

Have him look at a Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56, it has the locking turret, illumination, FFP, clear glass. It seems to meet his criteria without breaking the bank, I think they are now 799.00, when I bought mine new last year they were 699.00. If that is a no go, take a look at Arken Optics new EP5 it has Japanese glass and can be had for 549.00, I do not think the Turrets are lockable though.

I'm pretty up to date on optics, so I have a feeling I already know the answer to this question, but thought I'd see if I missed something.

Helping my buddy is build his "dream rifle" finally. 7mm-08 X-Caliber bbl going on a donor Savage 10. He's a "stalker", so 400 yd shots or less (likely a lot less). He's a hunter first, though he would like to dabble in some longer range plinking with me, so he needs low power for the timber and at least some top end for spraying lead at half mile steel.

Is there a scope that fits the following criteria?

1) $600 or less
2) 2X-3X on the low end, 12X-15X on the high end
3) FFP reticle with illumination and graduations (prefer MOA hashes, not BDC style)
4) Less than 24 oz
5) Lockable or capped turrets, but definitely needs finger adjustment for plinking sessions.
5) Decently robust
6) Decent glass

He's FAR from an optics snob, and is fine with his mediocre 10-30 year old 3-9 type scopes, so a $600 modern optic would be a HUGE upgrade for him. I've got an Athlon Ares 2.5-15x50 that's pretty close to satisfying the above if we tape down the turrets for hunting, though it's unnecessarily heavy and bulky for his needs. He's looked through it, and considers it "unbelievable", so that should give you an idea of where he's shopping.

Anyway, anything I'm missing? I've looked around quite a bit, and haven't seen anything that hits all the above points.

The PST 2 3-15 checks most everything. It's a little heavier and the turrets don't lock, but it has zero stop and you can get them for $550 right now.

I had the same needs for my superlite 7mm08. But I prefer to dial instead of using cluttered reticles, and I don't feel the need for higher end power. So I went with a VX3HD 2.5-8x36, the new ones have the locking zero stop and capped windage turrets. You could go 3.5-10x40 in this as well and be well under your weight requirements.
10x is enough for the silhouette shooters out to 1000 yards. I opted for lighter weight and size over mag range and illuminated reticle, I'm happy with that choice.

Very hard to beat this scope for the money. You can also get $195 value package of FREE rings, scope level, throw lever, covers, and gadget bag if you use one of many codes like CYCLOPS available on Youtube videos:

Heard their prices are going to increase on 16 Mar 22.

Last edited: