Looking for ideas on a budget minded light scope

I don't know if you could accidentally "spin" the top of the locking cap loose if you packed it in a scabbard a lot. They don't require an Allen wrench to reset turrets to zero.The top of the cap spins off and then you can take the turrets off to realigne hash mark after sighting in. This would be my only concern during traveling with it in a pack.
This is true, if I went that rout I think I would put a small needle dot of blue lock tight on those cap threads for security

I have 4-16x44 engage and have been using it for almost a year. Good glass, RTZ is good, the locking turrets are nice, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

I have to admit that Engage "deploy" reticle has me interested. Are they made in Korea?I'd be interested to know where the Sightron is made. I understand the SIII's are made in Japan.

Nikon,,, and you'll get super clear glass along with a BDC retrical,,, plus the option of side Parallax.

They are a bit heavier then optics of the same dimensions,,, this is due to thicker tubes and tappered cone so they last.

I'm close in on year 5 of bumps and grinds. Ha.

The poor old optic has took a beating as it holds it own,,, I like the solid click dial up / down as it tracks spot on.

Good luck in your search

Last edited:
Just an opinion...Reviewing your specs and what would seem to work - I think I might take a hard look at a Nikon Monarch 3, 4-16x50 or even the 42mm objective version. I own both and would go with the 50mm...a definite edge in low light whether its in timber or a dark shadowy draw, especially if you need enough magnification to evaluate a rack to be sure your target is legal.

Pros - pretty decent glass, providing acceptable clarity for the price. And if you look around with a little patience you can generally get one for about what you've budgeted, or at least reasonably close. The BDC models are more common but the Nikoplex reticle versions often include provisions for a custom calibrated elevation dial. Weight runs about 20 oz or so and the scope itself - 1" tube - is easy enough to mount on either a short or long action without spending a fortune for quality rings & bases. Also, from experience - holds up to recoil quite well, and the side-focus parallax adjustment does help for longer range work when used properly.

Cons - The Mon 3 line did not include scratch-resistant coatings so be aware of that when putting it through rough use. If you buy one new the included flip-up lens caps are pretty flimsy, so plan to use something else in the field. AND FYI - Definitely need to run your ballistics through a calculator if you use the BDC, as their ballpark guestimates are just that at best. Fortunately the Nikon SPOT ON app seems to give reasonable estimates out to 400, but beyond that...well, just say that environmental factors are always an influence so you might need a bit more detail from your choice of ballistic program. Either way I strongly recommend some range time to be sure you have an accurate chart for your hunting rig at the distances you actually intend to use it for.

Suggestion, just a thought - keep an eye out for a Monarch 5 while searching for a Mon 3. Yes it's going to be a little more money, but the ED glass does seem to take it up a notch for low light situations at longer-but-still-practical ranges. Does so without jumping all the way up to the prices you see for the higher-end Leupolds, Zeiss HD, Nightforce etc. That said, I haven't run a Mon 5 through a rough hunt yet to test it's durability, so if anyone has experience doing so please chime in!

I have to admit that Engage "deploy" reticle has me interested. Are they made in Korea?I'd be interested to know where the Sightron is made. I understand the SIII's are made in Japan.
Did a little looking, the Bushnell engage is made in China.....however, the sightron SIII's are made in Japan, while the S-TAC's are made in the Philippines, but they are made by the same company that makes the SIII's out of Japan, so same quality and components as the Japanese made SIII.

SWFA makes a lot of scope for the money. Unfortunately, they don't have a <$400 variable power scope that I am aware of. The HD scope below is $600... I have a Vortex HS 4-16x44 and the SWFA scopes blows it away in terms of clarity and color/contrast.

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-3-9x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope.html
I know what you mean, I have heard a lot of good about the swfa ss scopes. I am looking at the 3-15, going to keep trying to find a good deal on them, I have seen them go on sale for $450 before....

I have a 3-15 SS, and got mine at that price. However that was the SFP models and they are now discontinued. Maybe you can find a good used one.

I've got a barely used Leupold V3 4.5x14x40 LR 30mm/ side focus with M1 turrets & duplex reticle plus lens caps and sunshade FOR SALE

about as light weight as you can get

pm me if you are interested

Attachments

• 20190309_163525.jpg
    20190309_163525.jpg
    478.9 KB · Views: 256
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts