Want to try Hammer Bullets

The HHs definitely leave a super cool vapor trail. Steve says it is from a minute amount of cutting oil left in the tip. Sure makes it easy to track bullet flight though! This is from a 6.5SLR pushing the 124 @ 2900+ @ 545 yards.
Screenshot_20191111-130528_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20191111-130511_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20191109-162953_Video Player.jpg

I found a study years back where they shot thousands of deer in different spot to determine which was the most reliable and fastest. They excluded head shots as the probability of a miss was to high.
They ended up finding that a shot right through the shoulder was the best. If memory serves they shot 300 deer in each shot location and measured the distance ran and averaged them. All same bullet same speed. Don't remember how far but they limited the shot distance to very short ranges.

Well at that point they are DRT but now you have put a bullet through both the shoulders which can end up costing a decent amount of meat if not resulting in the tossing the whole front shoulder depending on the bullet.

Personally I am a fan of the behind the shoulder lung shot but the most DRT shots I receive are from the facing/heavily quartering towards shot. Every deer I've ever shot directly in the chest up close like that has tipped over stone dead including a buck this year with the 124gr out of a 6.5 PRC. He simply fell down without even a kick, lungs were jelly and the base exited out the right side behind the front shoulder.

The HHs definitely leave a super cool vapor trail. Steve says it is from a minute amount of cutting oil left in the tip. Sure makes it easy to track bullet flight though! This is from a 6.5SLR pushing the 124 @ 2900+ @ 545 yards.
View attachment 164604
View attachment 164605
View attachment 164603

Yeah they do, probably one of the coolest parts about these bullets besides the accuracy and superb terminal performance.

I have also found that the trail is far more prevalent when it is warm vs cold. First two are in 50's while the third is in the 30's.
DFD72812-7DF5-4381-AB00-A326752B8231.png
1074AB5C-001A-4E3F-B541-3F3EBCDCC1B3.png
477F9173-48D5-4EBC-9A22-EE389CAB6DA7.png

Well at that point they are DRT but now you have put a bullet through both the shoulders which can end up costing a decent amount of meat if not resulting in the tossing the whole front shoulder depending on the bullet.

In the thick South Texas brush we need them DRT regardless of meat loss.....I'm not into feeding coyotes!

In the thick South Texas brush we need them DRT regardless of meat loss.....I'm not into feeding coyotes!

Gotcha, I hunt PA so as long as they bleed we can pretty much find them as I hunt a mix of big woods and scrub pines.

I've found over the years that a double lung, heart shot typically dropped the animal within fifty yards or less. This shot minimizes meat loss and just about guarantees animal recovery. The terrain I hunt is a mixture of corn fields and heavy timber which has minimal brush or swamp. Typically you can watch the animal for the first 100-150 yards. In the past 30 years I haven't lost an animal. While shoulder shots are very effective, I can't accept the meat loss, I enjoy it too much.

Went out and tried the 177 Gr Hammer Hunters at 800 yards. They held their own pretty decent with me behind the rifle. Shot a 3 shot 5.5" group. Not a lot of vertical so that was good. I have a hard time shooting lighter rifles at distance. I really like 13 lb rifles but I sure don't like carrying them now haha. Overall, I was pleased with the performance. Picture below.

C53181AF-7CAF-43DC-B36F-2BD08A8F8AA4.jpeg

I'm with Longestshot. If I can watch a deer run more than 30 yds it's rare.they are immediately out of sight. I like behind the shoulder or quartering frontal. Don't like destroying good meat. Sounds like I'm trying the Hammers. Got a response email from Steve. Got a lot more deer to shoot for crop damage

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.