Want to rebarrel but which one?

Moman

Hey guys, I am looking into rebarrelling my model 700 300 WM but not quite sure were to start. This is my first custom barrel and I don't know too much about how to select the proper barrel. I've read some about cut vs button rifling, but not sure which is better. Also need info on taper, how many lands, barrel length, etc.

The overall weight of this is a big factor. The gun has a McMillan Edge stock to reduce weight as it is used mainly for carry. I think I am looking for a #4 contour at about 24" in length. Let me know what you guys think would be a good setup for a accurate hunting rifle.

Hey guys, I am looking into rebarrelling my model 700 300 WM but not quite sure were to start. This is my first custom barrel and I don't know too much about how to select the proper barrel. I've read some about cut vs button rifling, but not sure which is better. Also need info on taper, how many lands, barrel length, etc.

The overall weight of this is a big factor. The gun has a McMillan Edge stock to reduce weight as it is used mainly for carry. I think I am looking for a #4 contour at about 24" in length. Let me know what you guys think would be a good setup for a accurate hunting rifle.

I would go stainless in a #3. It has plenty of meat on it and will carry better than a #4. The debate on pull button v. cut rifle will never end. If you choose button, any of these will work great: Broughton in 5C, Hart, Lilja, Lothar Walther. If you choose cut: Obermeyer in 5R, Krieger, Bartlein in 5R, or Rock Creek. Don't worry about how many lands, they all work.

For a 300 WM, I prefer 25, 26 inches of bbl.

Last edited:
I just talked to Broughton a little about barrel selection, here is what they suggested.

A 25-26" stainless #4 or 4.1 contour. They said I will get a little deeper fluting with the 4.1 so the weight between the two would be about the same. 5C rifling and a suggested 1-11 twist for the 180 Accubond, but will also handle 200's. Standard chamber with a no turn neck.

The gun right now is a little tip heavy with the McMillan Edge stock so they thought that the 4.1 contour may balance a little better since it has a little more meat in the chamber area.

This is the only company I have talked to so far, but does this sound like a good setup?

I would recommend McGowen Precision Barrels. Turn around time is very good, as well as customer service. Their quality control is very good, they don't let is out the door unless it is right. I've been happy w/ the two that I have experienced. I have a Lilja, and am happy with it as well.

Steve

i have some kriegers and one hart. all work real good. i would get a 26 inch barrel. 11 inch twist sounds good too. the fattter the barrel the better. roninflag

You'll probably lose 25-50fps/inch. I would guess a #4 fluted would balance nice @ 26". Some one here I am sure has done this size and can give real experience. I did a #4 fluted in a 24" and cut 3.5" off the but of the stock for my son and it balanced very nicely.

Steve

I think I will try to find out what the weight is of my factory 24" barrel and then I can compare. Even going to a 25" would help and may be a good compromise. I'll have to give it some more thought. THanks

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.