Want to bear hunt next year. Help

Oregon has a lot of bears because bait and hounds have been outlawed since 1994. There are excellent long range opportunities in NE Oregon during the spring bear season, when the bears emerge from dens and are feeding in grassy slopes in the Hells Canyon country. Tags are not over the counter though. Last year they had 440 tags and 740 applicants for the Hell's Canyon unit itself. There are other excellent units in that area also. So you would need probably one preference point to draw. You get one preference point per year. But fall tags are over the counter and the hunting is still excellent.

I would call these guys and see what they have to say. They are in the heart of that country. I'm not affiliated with them.
http://www.ninebarkoutfitters.com/bear_hunt_pics.htm

I just got home to day from a three day deer hunt in scotland neck, NC. I don't bear hunt but the outfitter Mr. Tom lowe also sells bear hunts. I don't know what they killed but just listening to the bear hunters at hardies that were hunting with him they were seeing plenty of bears. He list his deer and bear hunts on 24hourcampfire.com. His contact # is 1- 252- 287-8867. he's a super nice person to deal with and everything he said about the deer hunting was correct. check with the DNR about the split season. to hunt deer was only $120.00 for a florida non resident, I think it's about $80.00 more for bear. Give tom a call. His hunts are $3,000 and the bears are big!.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.