wana see a nightforce take some abuse

lloydsmale

go see the movie lone survior. Probably one of the best war movies ive ever seen and to see the abuse those ars took about amazed me. There was acogs on most of them but i think the one gun that mark walburg was using had a nightforce scope on it. this movie was based on a true story. I dont know if there guns actually went through that but if they went through half of that then my hats off to night force.

Re: LONE SURVIVOR - Weapon maintained POI after extreme abuse

I read the book Lone Survivor last summer, and then saw the movie yesterday. The book is better than the movie. The movie doesn't script the events as they actually occurred.

After having read the book, I kept asking myself how the weapon Marcus Luttrell carried was able to maintain its point of impact after all the abuse suffered in multiple free-fall tumbles down the mountain face. I've never owned a rifle that would do that. Following three terrible free falls down the mountain, Luttrell miraculously ends up locating and recovering his rifle time and again. And then he snipes two Taliban on an opposing hill side from where he's hiding out in a protected cut on the mountain face. He aims and hits the first guy in the forehead and watches him free-fall off the mountainside into mid-air. Then that guys partner walks over to figure out what happened to his buddy, and Luttrell shoots the second guy in the chest a couple of times. I was dumbfounded that his weapon was still zeroed following those free falls down the mountain. Luttrell didn't provide any distance estimate for these shots. Only that the bad guys were on the opposing mountainside. I got the feeling these shots were at least 300 yards away and likely farther, but again he doesn't provide the distance. I couldn't believe he hit the guy in the forehead after his scoped weapon had left his grip two or three times and tumbled on down the mountainside.

I was also impressed that the suppressor on the end of his barrel wasn't bent to the point it was contacting the bullets upon exit.

The book doesn't describe the equipment in great detail, as I recall. I don't remember any mention of NightForce optics in the book. I think (or perhaps recall), Trijicon ACOGs? I remember one of the four seals carried a larger weapon, for more distant shots, but I believe Luttrell was shooting AR15 5.56mm.

If you liked the movie, I recommend the book much more so. The first half of the book covers Navy Seal school/tryouts and preparation. What I envision to be like a Navy Seal boot camp. The second half covers the firefight and the rescue mission.

Last edited:
i know it was just a movie but even if those ars took half that punishment and could still even be shot is a good arguement toward all the guys that claim an ar15 cant be reliable. It was tough to tell whether that ar with the nightforce was an ar15 or ar10 My guess is the movie prop men wouldnt have known the difference anyway. I think though that if i was using an ar and it took abuse like those did the first thing id do is peel the optics off and toss them.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.