Some Swarovskis and a Bushnell

Rich Coyle

Today I had a chance to compare a couple Swarovskis. I compared a Swarovski z6 5-30X50, a Swarovski z8i 2.3-18X56 and a Bushnell 6500 4 ½-30X50. They all have 30mm tubes. The Swarovskis are rifle mounted so I didn't get a chance to weigh them. I didn't have much time so I went right to the 13" wide deer antlers 131 yards away in the woods for low light comparison. The way I determine if I can continue with a particular optic is can I see the first long tine on the left enough so I would shoot the deer carrying them. By the time we got them adjusted on the antlers I had to turn up the z6 to 15X to positively identify the antlers. That was about 7:05PM. Then I adjusted the other two to the same magnification setting. The z6 was like a couple of z5 5-25X52 I had and sold. (Sometimes you don't get what you pay for.) It lasted until 7:13PM. When it came to the other Swarovski it was like a college player against a professional. The z8i was that much better. Bright and clear. Light right to the edge with almost no ring. The Bushnell went down at 7:24PM. The fantastic Swarovski lasted until 7:44PM! Twenty minutes longer than a very good scope. That is enough time to actually make a successful hunt if you have a very wary quarry which waits until almost dark before it moves out to feed or water.

Do you have an overall list of what you've liked best as far as light transmission?

This answer is strictly for low light comparisons. So far the Swarovski z8i 2.3-18X56 above was about the same a my Nightforce 12-42X56. The next one down was a recent Leupold. The new VX-5 3-15X56. It beat my Swarovski z5 5-25X52, Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 and Leupold VX-6 4-24X52 by six minutes. The Minox ZA 5HD 5-25x56 SF PLEX and the Nikon Monarch 3 5-20X44 was behind these by a minute. The Zeiss Conquest HD 5-26X50 went down twelve minutes before the z5, 6500 and VX-6!

Hope this is helpful.

There are a lot more things that matter than low light.

Its on the list, but it isn't the top for me.

WRO,
You are correct. The owner of these two Swarovskis was curious about low light performance. Recently I purchased a Nightforce for a rifle I plan to dial. After my z5 failed twice, I don't trust the scopes I already had.

Another requirement for me is very good glass at an affordable price. That's why my favorite is the 6500 4 1/2-30X50.

Very cool thread, thanks for taking the time to share this info, guys....

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.