Walkin Around MOA

andy_b

Howdy all,
New to the target turrets thing. I have been hunting for a long time, but never with dials. Now that I can't run up and down the hills as well as I used to when I was a young man, I have decided to try the longer range thing.
I am shooting a 7RM M70 with the BOSS (hell for accurate but **** loud). Loaded up some Nosler 160 ABs, couldn't find the 168's in either Nosler or Berger. I have the no brake muzzle weight, but I find it does not produce the same accuracy for me.
My question is this - I have a good 100 yard zero. Do you guys walk around at zero, or do you dial in some elevation in case a rapid shot presents itself? When I first got this rifle, I shot it a few times at deer with no hearing protection. I will avoid doing that again if I can, so I probably will put some ears on to take a shot, so it would not be that fast, but I guess that depends on the size of target (or at least the antlers on the target).
Wondering what the conventional wisdom is on this. I would think up a couple MOA for walking around would make sense, just like dialing the magnification down for walking around makes sense.
What say you?
Thanks
Andy

For "walkling around" I'd rely on a 200 yard zero, a basic dope sheet and knowledge of the physical characteristics of the game. If it's at 100, 200, 300, I'm fine with any shoulder hold. Beyond that, if I didn't have an moa reticle, I might need to consult the dope sheet, calculate for hold over, and take it from there. If my dope sheet is ballistically accurate, predicated on a 200 yard zero and my reticle is moa I just range it, select the hash mark and, bang. Meat on the table.

I moved up to dialing for the same reason you are. Years ago when I first started I zeroed at 100 yards and set the dial I believe on 3 moa when hiking. Now I have changed and now zero at 200 yards for a couple reasons. One I get a better zero hopefully you understand that and makes the come ups easier to compile and prove. The other is I just leave the rifle set on zero and I'm good to go out to about 250 yards and farther with a slight adjustment in hold.

Howdy all,
New to the target turrets thing. I have been hunting for a long time, but never with dials. Now that I can't run up and down the hills as well as I used to when I was a young man, I have decided to try the longer range thing.
I am shooting a 7RM M70 with the BOSS (hell for accurate but **** loud). Loaded up some Nosler 160 ABs, couldn't find the 168's in either Nosler or Berger. I have the no brake muzzle weight, but I find it does not produce the same accuracy for me.
My question is this - I have a good 100 yard zero. Do you guys walk around at zero, or do you dial in some elevation in case a rapid shot presents itself? When I first got this rifle, I shot it a few times at deer with no hearing protection. I will avoid doing that again if I can, so I probably will put some ears on to take a shot, so it would not be that fast, but I guess that depends on the size of target (or at least the antlers on the target).
Wondering what the conventional wisdom is on this. I would think up a couple MOA for walking around would make sense, just like dialing the magnification down for walking around makes sense.
What say you?
Thanks
Andy
Call Northwest Precision and put one of their brakes on it, you'll never regret doing so. I have them on 7 of my rifles now and just love them. In the event you have to make a quick shot and don't have your hearing protection in, no problem, they are very easy on the shooter.

Walking/Driving around I keep all of mine set for a 350yds shot. Dialing is for when you have time to really get everything perfect, not for when you need to shoot quickly.

I've naturally been a holdover guy throughout my over four decades of shooting so it's my first instinct anyhow.

I moved up to dialing for the same reason you are. Years ago when I first started I zeroed at 100 yards and set the dial I believe on 3 moa when hiking. Now I have changed and now zero at 200 yards for a couple reasons. One I get a better zero hopefully you understand that and makes the come ups easier to compile and prove. The other is I just leave the rifle set on zero and I'm good to go out to about 250 yards and farther with a slight adjustment in hold.

/\ +1 /\

Jack

Thanks for the insight. I will re-zero for 200 yards, that makes better sense.
I have a date with a Coues deer in New Mexico later this fall, I hope.
Andy

For "walkling around" I'd rely on a 200 yard zero, a basic dope sheet and knowledge of the physical characteristics of the game. If it's at 100, 200, 300, I'm fine with any shoulder hold. Beyond that, if I didn't have an moa reticle, I might need to consult the dope sheet, calculate for hold over, and take it from there. If my dope sheet is ballistically accurate, predicated on a 200 yard zero and my reticle is moa I just range it, select the hash mark and, bang. Meat on the table.

"dope sheet"

You'd probably have better luck teaching him Analytical Calculus!!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.