VV Powder Question

Lonewolf74

I didn't want to hi-jack the other VV thread with my question so starting a new one.

Has anyone spent enough time and rounds with N565 and/or N568 to find out if it's a little easier on throat's then N570?

300 WM, 300 PRC, 28 Nosler, 338 Lapua. Basically any of the bigger or overbore cartridges.

On average N570 seems to be hotter and harder on throats then say H1000 or Retumbo. I'm curious if people have seen that same trend with 565 or 568?

N565 in a 7 SS with moderate loads is just as bad as N570 in a 300 PRC with moderate loads. I love the powders but if you plan on shooting over 3 or 400 rounds (with the 2 calibers I mentioned), I would go to a powder other than the VV 5 series......Unless you don't mind rebarreling often. I saw pretty significant fire cracking in Bartlein barrels after 300 rounds.

Thanks for the response so far guy's.
jraulsten; that was just the info I was looking for. I've been using N570 in my 300 WM for a few year's and have some N565 to try out but I think I'm just gonna switch back to H1000 and Retumbo

Does Energy content (J/g) equate to flame temp.?

Sort of. The actual temperature of the burning powder is dependent on pressure. The higher the pressure, the higher the flame temp, for any powder. But at the same pressure, a higher energy content powder will be hotter than a lower energy content powder, by about the same ratio as the energy content ratio.

I have tried to offset the high temperature of high-energy-content powders by running lower pressure. Didn't work. Still burned up barrels. I don't use N570 any more. Not even RE 33 - it's energy content is 3900 J / g.

I stick with single base powders. Retumbo is 3710, H1000 is 3630, VV N165 is 3500.