Powder question

Critter Picker

I bought some 2400 powder at a gun show. It's still got a Hercules label on the can (4 Lb. Container) but was unopened. Loaded up some .357 loads and velocity is about 200 FPS slower than the newer Alliant 2400 that was on my shelf.

The color of the powder is normal,and it smells OK. I have no idea how this container of powder has been stored. I have a lot of powder on my shelves that is from the 70's and still works fine.

So my question is, has anybody that uses 2400 noticed that the Alliant has higher energy than the old Hercules? I can probably add a little and match the velocity of the Alliant, there are no pressure signs.

Between the storage, the water content, etc., of the vintage powder, and the usual batch to batch variations, it is always important to check when introducing a new batch.

I would agree that 200 fps difference is more than the usual. In my 44 Mag Silhouette days, I would see not more than 80 fps between batches so you are right to question.

I would suggest leaving the can open for a while to see if it happened to be unusually high in humidity, which tends to slow powder down. Give the whole can a roll and shake a few times a day and let it normalize for a day or so, then see if it has changed. No matter how that turns out, you did the right thing by tracking the actual performance rather than assuming it would be the same, and I would keep doing this if I were you.

Between the storage, the water content, etc., of the vintage powder, and the usual batch to batch variations, it is always important to check when introducing a new batch.

I would agree that 200 fps difference is more than the usual. In my 44 Mag Silhouette days, I would see not more than 80 fps between batches so you are right to question.

I would suggest leaving the can open for a while to see if it happened to be unusually high in humidity, which tends to slow powder down. Give the whole can a roll and shake a few times a day and let it normalize for a day or so, then see if it has changed. No matter how that turns out, you did the right thing by tracking the actual performance rather than assuming it would be the same, and I would keep doing this if I were you.
Thanks for the reply. I quit using 2400 when I got into the silhouette game. But I got such a good deal on this unopened container that I just had to grab it. Plus the fact that my usual powder hasn't shown up for a couple of years. I'm a cast bullet shooter and used a lot of 2400 when I first got into handgun shooting. Also got away from 296 because magnum primers got so rare. Now they are showing up.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?451309-Compilation-of-Larry-Gibson%92s-load-tests See post #10.
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sh...00-in-the-357-Magnum-with-6-different-primers <The 357 mag is here-
There are 2 comparisons of old vs new 2400. 357 & 44 . With pressure testing equiment.

The 357 seems to have a spread of 100 fps. H being slower.

I would expect a maximum of 10% variation between lot.

By volume, new just opened powder is heavier then old powder. I tested 3 different powders. Outgassing of the old powder makes it lighter.

Last edited:
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?451309-Compilation-of-Larry-Gibson%92s-load-tests See post #10.
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sh...00-in-the-357-Magnum-with-6-different-primers <The 357 mag is here-
There are 2 comparisons of old vs new 2400. 357 & 44 . With pressure testing equiment.

The 357 seems to have a spread of 100 fps. H being slower.

I would expect a maximum of 10% variation between lot.

By volume, new just opened powder is heavier then old powder. I tested 3 different powders. Outgassing of the old powder makes it lighter.
Thanks! I was going to compare the 2.
I just loaded these and decided to chronograph them. Was a little disappointed with the velocity. These are jacketed bullets and to be perfectly honest, I haven't shot a jacketed bullet in a revolver for at least 30 years. My brother in law wanted some ammo,so I thought I'd load him some for Christmas. This particular revolver just shot it's first jacketed bullet.

Looking back at my previous revolver that had the same length barrel , this load is 200 FPS slower. It could be a slower gun plus Hercules powder vs Alliant powder.