Vow to not spend money on firearms for a while...

engineer40

Last night during some introspection I told myself that I'm not going to spend any money on firearm related stuff for a while. No new guns or reloading equipment, etc... Just was feeling like I need to refocus on some priorities for a bit.

On the way home from work I saw MC Sports was going out of business and everything was clearance priced. Figured I'd stop in quick.

Walking up I noticed they only had 2 rifles left on the shelf and about 6 shotguns. And oddly I felt good about that. I knew it would mean that I probably wouldn't want to buy whatever they were selling. In my mind walking up to the counter I said to myself, unless one of those rifles are a 243 Win or a 6.5 Creedmoor, just walk away no matter how low the price is.

Me - "Hey man, what are those rifles chambered in?"
Worker - "They're 243's..."
Me - "S**t! Well, you mind if I hold one?"

I didn't really want to buy a Savage Axis with a generic Bushnell scope combo. But I have been wanting a 243 Win for quite a long time. I was trying to use logic and remind myself of the vow I just made the evening before that I won't spend money on firearms for a while.

So I texted my Dad, "Hey MC Sports is going out of business. They have a 243 Win here with a scope for barely $200. But I don't really need it for anything". My phone immediately rang. My Dad says, "You know I've always wanted a 243... It's a great cartridge. How many 243 Win rifles do they have for sale there? Ahh, you know I don't have much money right now. You know you have 2 sons and a 243 is the perfect cartridge for young boys, low recoil... We've also been talking about a pronghorn hunt and a 243 would be great... Did I mention that I've always wanted a 243 and that you have 2 sons that would like shooting it?" LOL. Anyways, my dad's excitement won me over and I honestly couldn't justify not buying it for that price. (Assume the included scope is worth about $40? So then the rifle seems like a really great deal then).

Even with all of the technology advances we have, it still takes a long time and a lot of hand written paperwork to purchase a firearm. So as the store worker is completing his portion of the paperwork I notice that 1 of the shotguns is actually a 20 gauge, not a 12 gauge like the rest. It was a Mossberg 500 pump with wood stock for $230, which seemed like a decent price. My older son has a birthday coming up so I ask about the 20 gauge. The store worker says, "Yeah these are a fantastic deal because you get the smooth bore with the chokes and it also comes with a ported rifled barrel with adjustable sights for that price"

Obviously I walked out of there with 2 new firearms. :)

It's a sickness!!!
I told myself and my wife the same thing last month. I bought two guns since then. Lol
I will get a gun, set up to reload it, get a good load. Then I start thinking about another gun. I don't know what I'm going to do..
I just set up a savage long range Hunter 6.5 creed. Now I'm working on a Savage 10 243. I have a Lapua that only has 100 round thru it. I have two ARs that I haven't even shot yet, and I bought them before the election...I was thinking the other day, all of my current rifles are not even broke in yet. Lol

That being said, I literally (just yesterday) bought 2 new scopes (Vortex HS-T 6-24x50 MRAD & SWFA SS 3-15x42 MilQuad) because they were both on sale at SWFA... $96 off the price of the HS-T ($543.99 vs. $639.99 regular price), and the SWFA was on sale for $399 AND it included the sunshade and the butler creek caps! Which is $235 off the regular price!!! I couldn't pass those up!

I will probably swap them onto current rifles, but then what to do with the nice high-quality scopes that I remove? I guess more quality stuff just collecting dust in the safe... :rolleyes:

Just like Gohring said, it's a sickness.

If you hurry, you might could still catch the SWFA sale for a new optic for that new .243... The sale ends TONIGHT at midnight CST, so you got about an hour and a half!

Here's the SWFA SS that I got, it would be a perfect optic for that rifle.

https://swfa.com/catalog/product/view/id/114921/

My problem is twice as bad. My wife is a shooter also so everything I buy she wants, then I have to buy it again for me.
Poor me...lol

I'm sure your addiction is one shared by many of us

Attachments

• IMG_0570.JPG
    IMG_0570.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 110
It is an addiction and we all know the only way to cure such an addiction is to feed it. :D We all suffer the severe silent symptoms.

Most wives don't agree and certainly do not understand the overwhelming pull of such an addiction nor the science of horse trading gun deals. It is an art by itself and usually takes years of experience to be qualified as a true horse trader.

The best deals that comes from horse trading is when dealing with someone that thinks they are a good horse trader but they are not. As one example, I just cashed a grain check and packed my wallet with $100 bills. On my way home I stopped by a small private owned gun store and dickered on a new 10/22, new to the market then.

As I dickered with the hired hand, the store owner was listening but stayed out of the dealing. We got down to $5 dollars difference until the clerk gave in and started the paperwork. As he was writing and talking to me, I drew out my wallet to pay as the store owner came over to me to receive the payment.

When the store owner spotted the cash in my wallet, he went red hot and yelled to the clerk, "You don't ever trade with this ( expletive) ever again without me! I had 18 $100 dollar bills in my wallet but that was none of his business. I was not flashing my money but he sneaked a peek as I cracked open my wallet. It's all about the horse trade. :D

I have two ARs that I haven't even shot yet, and I bought them before the election...I was thinking the other day, all of my current rifles are not even broke in yet. Lol

I also have 2 AR's that I bought before the election. LOL. (Although 1 of them is a 450 Bushmaster).

That being said, I literally (just yesterday) bought 2 new scopes (Vortex HS-T 6-24x50 MRAD & SWFA SS 3-15x42 MilQuad) because they were both on sale at SWFA... $96 off the price of the HS-T ($543.99 vs. $639.99 regular price), and the SWFA was on sale for $399 AND it included the sunshade and the butler creek caps! Which is $235 off the regular price!!! I couldn't pass those up!

I will probably swap them onto current rifles, but then what to do with the nice high-quality scopes that I remove? I guess more quality stuff just collecting dust in the safe... :rolleyes:

Just like Gohring said, it's a sickness.

If you hurry, you might could still catch the SWFA sale for a new optic for that new .243... The sale ends TONIGHT at midnight CST, so you got about an hour and a half!

Here's the SWFA SS that I got, it would be a perfect optic for that rifle.

https://swfa.com/catalog/product/view/id/114921/

That's so ironic... I actually had that same SWFA 3-15 Milquad scope added to the online cart on their website yesterday too! However I have a couple scopes that aren't mounted on anything yet so I held off. Convinced myself I can wait to their Black Friday sale.

I'm sure your addiction is one shared by many of us

I'm a sucker for a good deal on firearms. Mainly because I tend to not sell firearms so I know that my sons will get all of them someday. Firearms tend to keep their value better than TVs, furniture, or other things. And who doesn't love investments that you can also have fun with?

It is an addiction and we all know the only way to cure such an addiction is to feed it. :D We all suffer the severe silent symptoms.

Most wives don't agree and certainly do not understand the overwhelming pull of such an addiction nor the science of horse trading gun deals. It is an art by itself and usually takes years of experience to be qualified as a true horse trader.

The best deals that comes from horse trading is when dealing with someone that thinks they are a good horse trader but they are not. As one example, I just cashed a grain check and packed my wallet with $100 bills. On my way home I stopped by a small private owned gun store and dickered on a new 10/22, new to the market then.

As I dickered with the hired hand, the store owner was listening but stayed out of the dealing. We got down to $5 dollars difference until the clerk gave in and started the paperwork. As he was writing and talking to me, I drew out my wallet to pay as the store owner came over to me to receive the payment.

When the store owner spotted the cash in my wallet, he went red hot and yelled to the clerk, "You don't ever trade with this ( expletive) ever again without me! I had 18 $100 dollar bills in my wallet but that was none of his business. I was not flashing my money but he sneaked a peek as I cracked open my wallet. It's all about the horse trade. :D

I've always enjoyed negotiating. My favorite thing to do when discussing prices is sometimes just to be silent. Don't say anything for a while. Silence makes people really uncomfortable. It's a fairly quick way to find out if the person has any more wiggle room.

It's not always about the money we have. But also the money we are willing to spend at that time on that object.

That's so ironic... I actually had that same SWFA 3-15 Milquad scope added to the online cart on their website yesterday too! However I have a couple scopes that aren't mounted on anything yet so I held off. Convinced myself I can wait to their Black Friday sale.

I have that same scope already, but with the MilQuad-DM reticle on my 6.5 Grendel. I love it. I also have had one of their 20x42 SS MilQuad scopes since around 2013/2014. I love that MilQuad reticle. And I was going to wait till their Black Friday sale, but I figured what the hell. I was already going to order the HS-T 6-24x50, since it was nearly $100 off, and you NEVER see the HS-T scopes on sale for some reason. So, in wheeler-dealer terms, IF the HS-T scope had been regular price, that means I only paid about $30 for that new set of ($122) Seekins rings for it, that I also had in my cart. :D

I also have 2 AR's that I bought before the election. LOL. (Although 1 of them is a 450 Bushmaster).

I'm a sucker for a good deal on firearms. Mainly because I tend to not sell firearms so I know that my sons will get all of them someday. Firearms tend to keep their value better than TVs, furniture, or other things. And who doesn't love investments that you can also have fun with?

I've always enjoyed negotiating. My favorite thing to do when discussing prices is sometimes just to be silent. Don't say anything for a while. Silence makes people really uncomfortable. It's a fairly quick way to find out if the person has any more wiggle room.

It's not always about the money we have. But also the money we are willing to spend at that time on that object.
Yeah on that, 40!

And like you said, going silent and slipping on down the counter works great a lot of times. :D

I have worked behind the counter as a salesman and also as a manager. It's all about the trade.

Last night during some introspection I told myself that I'm not going to spend any money on firearm related stuff for a while. No new guns or reloading equipment, etc... Just was feeling like I need to refocus on some priorities for a bit.

On the way home from work I saw MC Sports was going out of business and everything was clearance priced. Figured I'd stop in quick.

Walking up I noticed they only had 2 rifles left on the shelf and about 6 shotguns. And oddly I felt good about that. I knew it would mean that I probably wouldn't want to buy whatever they were selling. In my mind walking up to the counter I said to myself, unless one of those rifles are a 243 Win or a 6.5 Creedmoor, just walk away no matter how low the price is.

Me - "Hey man, what are those rifles chambered in?"
Worker - "They're 243's..."

I didn't really want to buy a Savage Axis with a generic Bushnell scope combo. But I have been wanting a 243 Win for quite a long time. I was trying to use logic and remind myself of the vow I just made the evening before that I won't spend money on firearms for a while.

So I texted my Dad, "Hey MC Sports is going out of business. They have a 243 Win here with a scope for barely $200. But I don't really need it for anything". My phone immediately rang. My Dad says, "You know I've always wanted a 243... It's a great cartridge. How many 243 Win rifles do they have for sale there? Ahh, you know I don't have much money right now. You know you have 2 sons and a 243 is the perfect cartridge for young boys, low recoil... We've also been talking about a pronghorn hunt and a 243 would be great... Did I mention that I've always wanted a 243 and that you have 2 sons that would like shooting it?" LOL. Anyways, my dad's excitement won me over and I honestly couldn't justify not buying it for that price. (Assume the included scope is worth about $40? So then the rifle seems like a really great deal then).

Even with all of the technology advances we have, it still takes a long time and a lot of hand written paperwork to purchase a firearm. So as the store worker is completing his portion of the paperwork I notice that 1 of the shotguns is actually a 20 gauge, not a 12 gauge like the rest. It was a Mossberg 500 pump with wood stock for $230, which seemed like a decent price. My older son has a birthday coming up so I ask about the 20 gauge. The store worker says, "Yeah these are a fantastic deal because you get the smooth bore with the chokes and it also comes with a ported rifled barrel with adjustable sights for that price"

Obviously I walked out of there with 2 new firearms. :)

I just had to chuckle after reading your post, thinking it was just in our water/air here in michigan. but no,no,no, I continued reading the rest of the posts. Ten more I think. Everyone single one of those sounded just like me. I had to read this thread to my wonderful wife. She laughed and said,you boys and your guns. Good post, made me smile . Now over to the classifieds !

Same here... Vowed not to burn much cash for a while and no toys. Then my brother walks a 6.5 creed into my house for my boys, so in walks dies and ammo for it (at my expense), a Yankee Hill brake for it (at my expense- the creed recoiled a bit much for my boys), and bullets for it (at my expense). Lucky I can poach powder and primers from my existing stocks; lucky too that I saved gun-smithing fees on the rifle as it is already threaded for a brake or can.

Then I'm perusing my lgs and they have a 20gauge bps micro medallion with a 24" tube... new save for engraving and some safe time. Someone won that puppy and didn't let it out to play. With the 120$ haircut from nib I walked out with it for a few dollars above beater shotgun price; now I need shotgun shells and possibly a mec reloader for it.
All in all, I'm in $800+ in the last few weeks on gun stuff and I've been trying not to spend money. Heck, when I replaced the Boss on my 300 win with a CR a couple weeks ago, my wife bought it as an early birthday present so I wouldn't be spending my money on it.

I live five miles from a Cabela's that I pass on my way to work and back. When I "need" something I have to keep telling myself, just get this, just get this, don't look at anything else etc... I currently have five firearms I have never even fired with 3 more on the want list. It most certainly is a sickness.

I live five miles from a Cabela's that I pass on my way to work and back. When I "need" something I have to keep telling myself, just get this, just get this, don't look at anything else etc... I currently have five firearms I have never even fired with 3 more on the want list. It most certainly is a sickness.
I have the same problem, I want,I want, I want. I work part time at F&S. Last year I bought 7 firearms and 4 are still in boxes. One I only shot twice. And I still want.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.