Good luck shines on an old dog every once in a while

357lover

I have for some time been reluctant to buy a rifle that had been begging me to take it home.
Matter of fact I had pondered the buy for three weeks and just could not convince myself to do it.
Today I let my mouth put a price on a Howa 1500 in .243 caliber. Good blue, and fiber stock showing a little wear, but, someone really let it get away from them.
It had a decent scope on it. The paralex was good and I just had to take it home.
I'm ashamed to print the price as it is so low everyone will thing I stole it from a friend who owns a pawn shop.
Well, here goes......$400.00 out the door.
I'm nervous to even hold it as I think it might be a dream and I will wake up.
I did a search on Youtube and the Howa's shown there seem to be very accurate.
Now, I'm wondering what you guys think.

That is pretty standard actually for a used howa depending on the optic. You can get the 1500 package with a scope for $520 or less, I saw the last price for the package from buds gun shop for the .243 model 1500 with a hogue stock was $444, but they are currently sold out. However, depending on the optic that could change things. They seem to be decent rifles, I worked on one that shot well

Sounds like a good deal to me. A friend of mine has a howa 22-250, it shoots one ragged hole with factory ammo.

Congrats, you did very well, the 243 is a great caliber, many Howas are used for semi custom builds, the Quality is built in. Years back I used to sight in my Uncles two Howa rifles for deer hunting one was a 270 wcf other was 7 rem/magnum both shot Great !!! Are you gonna reload for her & Congrats on your #1 Ruger in 357 mag bett ya she's a blast of fun !!! Enjoy you Earnt them

Whew! I was wondering if I had made a booboo.
My shooting buddy has a 243 and reloads his ammo. We shoot on Thursdays and he said he would reload the 243's for me if I bought the Howa.
I don't expect to shoot it a lot. I reloaded until I got very ill last year. After that I found myself making too many mistakes. My decision to stop reloading came after I had a squib and had to drive the bullet out of the Coonan barrel.
I gave my buddy some of the pieces he did not have and sold my casting equipment.
I also gave him all of the primers, 125 grain bullets and the casings.
One has to know when to stop, especially if it deals with bullet reloading.

It's nice to have a friend that worthy ,odds are your twist is 1/10 so that will stabilize 55 all the way to 100 grainers . Still own the Coonan ? That's one nifty pistol ,wish they'd make that in the 10 mm. Good talking !

It's nice to have a friend that worthy ,odds are your twist is 1/10 so that will stabilize 55 all the way to 100 grainers . Still own the Coonan ? That's one nifty pistol ,wish they'd make that in the 10 mm. Good talking !
You are definitely right! One good friend is the best one can hope for. I've spotted for him at the range and his reloads are great. I do still own the Coonan. My buddy bought it and introduced me to it some time ago. He prefers a black gun and sold me the first one he bought. he had put about 500 rounds thru it and had it broken in. I sold all of my Ruger 686's and never looked back.
I would not be afraid to take it hog hunting as it is one mean piece of a handgun.

It shows your a good Friend also, Congrats to you both,I've got a shooting budy that I meet at our range and have been friends with ever since,he's 20 yrs my senior but Wow he's the Best reloader I've ever meet Peroid! He also Champions the 270 WCF & 270WSM Waite lol iDO also . Yes friends are special that's for sure !!! Thks & let the good times Roll !

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.