Vortex Viper PST vs Weaver Tactical

Nimrod1203

Here is another one...both can be had FFP. 30mm tubes. roughly the same adjustment range. I like the reticles in both. I was set on a Viper HS, but would like the 20x. What are the Pro's and Con's of both?
Nimrod

I am looking for a new scope also and I favor the 4-20 range as compared to the 6-24. MIne is going on a lighter caliber, if it was a big 338 might be different. I want mil and ffp, which they both have , pst has zero stop. But not as much issue w/mil because 6-7 mil is alot of range. and not hard to dial back. Onother guy on this site that has about every scope rated the glass and scope, Weaver very good.Which is how Im leaning

One thing i don't care about on the Weavers is it doesn't come with sunshade or covers. That kinda blows....Also I'm having fits trying to find one 4-20 and EMDR. I'm beginning to wonder if they exist.
Nimrod

I don't think they do yet. They don't show on their site, which isn't saying much as they are usually late in keeping it updated, but I read on another forum that they aren't out yet and may not be until later this year.

Weaver has always been good about getting back to me. You may want to contact them and save yourself some time and hassle.

Scot E.

I just looked at a 3-15x50 w/EMDR FOR SALE today?? Are you saying not out in 4-20??? WT? IS That Y i CANT FIND ONE:rolleyes:

I just looked at a 3-15x50 w/EMDR FOR SALE today?? Are you saying not out in 4-20??? WT? IS That Y i CANT FIND ONE:rolleyes:

Sorry, should have been more clear. The 3-15's have been out with the EMDR reticle for quite some time now. It is the 4-20 that I think isn't out yet with the new reticle. I also think the 4-20 looses a lot of internal adjustment compared to the 3-15 so a lot of guys are excited upfront then end up backing off the 4-20.

The rumor is that they are increasing the internal adjustment and adding the new reticle but I think that may be more wishing than actual fact. I have not been able to verify that anyway.

I am still trying to find that thread so I can post it.

Scot E.

Well since the tactical doesn't have the glass/adjustments/reticle i want i guess the PST is the best bet! I'm also looking at a Hawke tactical. just can't figure if it'd be the best option. but it is half the price and i've heard great things.
Nimrod

PST has zero stop and better reticle (IMO), Weaver has better glass. I do think the illumination on the Weaver is too bright even on the low settings, a big minus there.

Yeah it's gonna be for hunting....I'm in the middle of a 300 win mag build to go to 1k. This will set atop of that rifle. So, paper to 1k and deer to 600 until i get more proficient past 600. And didn't your shop teacher ever tell you there are no dumb questions.....just dumb answers ;)
Nimrod

Well, I shouldn't beat a dead horse, but I've posted my observation before that Vipers aren't very good in the veiling glare department. Its too bad, because Vortex is responsive to their customers. Weavers and Hawkes are both better. Glare performance makes a difference for big game hunting.

Weavers and Hawkes are both better.
How are the Hawkes better? I'm seriously confused at this point. you think you get one figued out and find something wrong with it. LOL, I'm discounting the weavers due to the glass and adjustment range in the 4-20 isn't as good as the 3-15. But the Hawke has interested me. Have you actually used both the PST and the Sidewinder tac? Thank you
Nimrod

Here are some reviews that may be helpful. This guy knows his stuff and provides very solid reviews IMO.

Riflescope Brands: December 2011

Mid-range Tactical: Part 1

Hawke Sidewinder Tactical 30 4.5-14x42

I have played with the Hawke sidewinder Tac and it is a nice scope. I am sure you know this but it is a big scope, over 15 inches long and almost 30 oz. I like the 1/2 MIL hash reticle a lot. I don't like that it has MOA turrets and MIL reticle but that may not bother everyone as much as it does me. Their glass quality gets better every year and it has been very good for the price for the last couple years.

HTH,

Scot E.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.