Huskemaw vs. Vortex Viper PST

I have never looked through a Vortex scope so I can't give you a comparison per say, but I do own and use a Huskemaw and as I can afford it the Huskemaw will be the only scope sitting atop my long rang hunting guns! I have always been a leupold man, but after looking through and then buying a Huskemaw, no more Leupolds! Crystal clear glass,100% tracking, good warranty, and this scope was designed and built for long range hunting . May be a little more money than a Vortex but the old saying you get what you pay for holds true usually. Good luck.

How do you feel about having to be on 20 power on the huskemaw for the wind callouts to be right?

Like I said, I'm not sold yet. I haven't heard anyone that has gotten the new batch in yet on how they track. Love to hear if they fixed it.

I read your review on the hide, one thing I would like to know is how do you test the scopes tracking ability?? if you are testing the scope mounted the canting error could be a mounting issue.
I added descriptions of some testing proceedures to this thread: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/scope-tracking-repeatability-test-proceedure-65594/ .

But short answer--I'm testing the reticle relative to the turrets. The scope doesn't even have to be on a rifle to do it. Mounting issues don't apply to the tests.

a couple observations I have about vortex, for one they are a company that has pretty much burst upon the scene. who owns the company, what was their back ground, did they work for another optics company??

the other thing is it appears that vortex doesn't actually make anything but rather just tells overseas optics companies what they want made and then they make it. a relative of mine owns a headphone business and this is all they do. what this means is the overseas company tries to make what the US company wants but it doesn't always come out EXACTLY as planned.

a buddy of mine bought a vortex skyline spotting scope, the glass looks very good but the outer construction seems kinda chinese. vortex has been very very good at marketing their products but really all they appear to be to me is a marketing company, does this mean their products aren't any good, no, but does it mean everything they make will be perfect I say NO.

the point I am making is are you spending your hard earned money with a marketing company that just rebrands products or are you dealing with a company that ACTUALLY makes the products and builds them. that is what made me hesitant to plunk my money down on vortex products.

You could argue the same for Best of the West and Huskamaw. In the end, I don't know if that matters as much as the quality of the product.

How do you feel about having to be on 20 power on the huskemaw for the wind callouts to be right?

Again I have to be honest. I haven't done a ton of shooting in winds at very long distances. But I was told on ten power to just cut the windage indicator in half and on 5 power in fourth and hold over accordingly. What little I have done so far it seems to be fairly close. Everyone looks at the Huskemaw and immediately assumes they are going to shoot out to 1,000 yds and that is just not true. Yes the scopes are capable of it but are you? I have shot a lot of deer and Elk out at 5-600 yds without a Huskemaw. But now that I have one It is sure a pile easier and way more enjoyable. Once you use one and get it figured out[doesn't take long], it just opens up a whole new world. Ethics should still play a role and no matter what the scope can do you need to know what you can do. I'll get off my soap box now. Like I said before good luck! I am not trying to persuade anyone or advertise, but I liked the Huskemaw scopes so well I became a dealer for them.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.